Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 35's on my 1985 RC and have become frustrated with the loose 35" tire behind the rear seat (the 35 won't fit in the stock position). Besides it's dangerous if the truck roles. I did a search on the dicussion boards and didn't find much besides a very nice homemade carrier. Does anyone offer an aftermarket bumer swing out tire carrier for the RC? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this issues? I'm not interested in storing the spare on the roof rack.
Thanks for your time.
Cliff out

·
Registered
29,628 Posts
theres not much of a choice / its either home made or a universal one size fits all bumper mount / or get one of those pre-runner bed mounts that mounts the tire at an angle / or do what l did and drilled a hole in the floor and used the factory J bolt to hold my down

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I might know where a factory one is. I can check if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
intenseimages said:
the only problem with the factory one is the weight of that 35 inch tire. i would be worried about it ripping the metal on the bed

eric
Good point Eric. Yeah, without some modification I'd say biggest would be a 33. I've seen the weight of Hi-Lifts alone rip good Dodge sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
superprowizard said:
I'll probably look into something custom. I really do not want to consume more interior space. Thanks for the info though.
Cliff out
Please post again if you find a website or company that will make one for you. I'm in the same boat, except I don't even have a spare yet :eek: . If this post gets too old, you can just email me at [email protected] with any info (pictures of what ya found would be even better! :D ) Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
it is easy to make one ;D i did for the rc , and the 85 pu.used a piece of 3" chanel w/ a piece of flat plate welded to the bottom.. and also put a plate on the under side of the bed as the bed isnt much,.. to come out it will have to tear a 6x6 x1/4 " plate through the bed floor.. have had no problems yet..qp

G

·
I found mine off another RC at the junkyard. It cost $50.00 and I didn't have to do any modifications other than matchdrilling the mounting brackets for my RC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking about modifying and mounting an existing tire mount on the rear of the truck but was worried about the weight of the 33" or 35" wheel. I want the spare out of the cab.
Thanks for the post.
Cliff out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.