Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've seen a few 80's Ramchargers out there with external rear spare tire carriers, you know, the swing away type. I was wondering if anybody knew of an outfit who sells a kit to do this, or if I need to make one. If I need to make one, or just modify one off another vehicle, what would you suggest I use as a donor? A 33" spare tire just doesn't fit in the factory spare tire locationjavascript:angry()
Angry. And I have leaving it just laying in the back as it takes up a lot of my cargo space. And I don't really want to carry a smaller tire for a sparejavascript:sad()
Sad.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,351 Posts
With the 74-80 Ramchargers and Traildusters, you could get an external tire carrier as an option from the factory. This would be the easiest to adapt to a later Ramcharger, but the extra weight might be too much for the fiberglass lift gate. If you go that route, I'd reinforce the liftgate to be on the safe side.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,766 Posts
off road iron? contact G-mule. his friends make a bumper mounted rear tire tire rack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
willy J said:
off road iron?
I think its 4x4 iron (http://www.4x4iron.com/). I found that site. Those are some sweet looking bumpers. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'd like one for my TD.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,351 Posts
loosewheelbob said:
willy J said:
off road iron?
I think its 4x4 iron (http://www.4x4iron.com/). I found that site. Those are some sweet looking bumpers. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'd like one for my TD.
If I remember right, Gmule has their front and rear bumpers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,766 Posts
loosewheelbob said:
willy J said:
off road iron?
I think its 4x4 iron (http://www.4x4iron.com/). I found that site. Those are some sweet looking bumpers. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'd like one for my TD.
yeah thats it!

yup Check with G-mule
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Ramtuff said:
With the 74-80 Ramchargers and Traildusters, you could get an external tire carrier as an option from the factory. This would be the easiest to adapt to a later Ramcharger, but the extra weight might be too much for the fiberglass lift gate. If you go that route, I'd reinforce the liftgate to be on the safe side.
the carrier doesnt mount to the liftgate, it mouts to the body of the RC. but i agree to check with 4x4 iron, especially if u are going with bigger tires.

Duane
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,351 Posts
CLRracer said:
Ramtuff said:
With the 74-80 Ramchargers and Traildusters, you could get an external tire carrier as an option from the factory. This would be the easiest to adapt to a later Ramcharger, but the extra weight might be too much for the fiberglass lift gate. If you go that route, I'd reinforce the liftgate to be on the safe side.
the carrier doesnt mount to the liftgate, it mouts to the body of the RC.

Duane
The mount to holds the carrier in the closed position mounts to the tailgate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Ramtuff said:
CLRracer said:
the carrier doesnt mount to the liftgate, it mouts to the body of the RC.

Duane
The mount to holds the carrier in the closed position mounts to the tailgate.
ture, but it doesnt support much weight. it just holds it still. but if ur going bigger than 33s i wouldnt use the a stock carrier.

Duane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,481 Posts
Just build your own. Easy!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,351 Posts
CLRracer said:
Ramtuff said:
CLRracer said:
the carrier doesnt mount to the liftgate, it mouts to the body of the RC.

Duane
The mount to holds the carrier in the closed position mounts to the tailgate.
ture, but it doesnt support much weight. it just holds it still. but if ur going bigger than 33s i wouldnt use the a stock carrier.

Duane
There's more stress on that little bracket than you think Duane. I've seen the steel tailgates warped from that bracket (due to different causes...backing into something, the tire carrier wearing out and getting sloppy, slamming the carrier closed, etc., etc.).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
Ramtuff said:
CLRracer said:
Ramtuff said:
The mount to holds the carrier in the closed position mounts to the tailgate.
ture, but it doesnt support much weight. it just holds it still. but if ur going bigger than 33s i wouldnt use the a stock carrier.

Duane
There's more stress on that little bracket than you think Duane. I've seen the steel tailgates warped from that bracket (due to different causes...backing into something, the tire carrier wearing out and getting sloppy, slamming the carrier closed, etc., etc.).
well old age and abuse take its toll on anything, which is probably why they quit offering them after 6 years or so. people wore them out and they started damaging stuff. i still say a bumper mount is the best option.

Duane
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top