Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound on my computer sometimes just goes off. It usually comes back if you restart it, but sometimes you have to restart it a couple times. What's the deal?

·
Registered
777 Posts
How old of a machine?
What Operating System?

Try other speakers or headphones to make sure it's not a speaker problem.
If problem still persists...try re-installing the drivers for your soundcard.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, the puter is about 2.5 - 3 years old, running windows 98. As of right this minute its been restarted five times, but still none of the regular sounds work, like the beeps when message boxes show up, or when mail arrives. Windows media player isn't making any noise. Internet games are silent, but an email recieved in Outlook Express IS playing sound.
So, how does everyone feel about that?

G

·
Do you have a sound card, or is the sound circuit integral to the mother board?

Mine has a sound chip on the motherboard (ESSOLO) which went out last winter. It died slowly, every couple of days you had to crank up the volume on the speaker to keep hearing it.
I put in an aftermarket sound card (AWE 64) and it's been okay since.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have you confirmed that sound is coming from the CDROM? If not, -hook headphones to the output jack on the front of the CD Player if you have one. Did you add software of any sort just prior to the problem occurring? If no sound is coming from your CDROM drive. I use windows 98SE and discovered that some music CDs will not play on older CDROM drives.

·
Registered
688 Posts
On our old computer our sound was doing the same thing for a day then it just stopped working, I went and bought a new sound card (Sound Blaster) and that afternoon I installed it and it has worked eversince with no prob. at all....Try a new sound card they aren't that much money, and if it's not that then at least you have a new sound card and a replacement...
Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts