Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have completely gutted my 76 RC and am looking for a sound proofing before installing new carpet. Anything that is both inexpencive and ease to apply?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I don’t know about soundproofing but I will tell you what I did when I replaced my carpet in my 77TD. Completely spray the floor with rubberized undercoating and then when it dries lay down a couple of those cheap emergency space blankets before you put the carpet down. Nice and warm in the winter and pretty cool in the summer, plus it’s waterproof. I can just throw my dripping float tube in there when I’m done fishing and vacuum it later when it dries. And no the rubberized undercoating doesn’t stink when it gets hot. I am not sure about soundproofing these rattling clanging monsters, then again why would you want to. These are 70’s trucks, not Cadillac’s.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
One of the biggest problems with sound deadening material is, if it works, it is heavy (dense). Sound proofing the entire cab could add as much as 3-400 lbs to the truck, which is just dead weight the engine has to haul around; hurting both performance and mileage.

Personally, I will be spraying a coating (either undercoating or line-x/rhino liner), putting down the thickest carpet insulation I can find, and then carpet. It won't be sound 'proof', but it should drown out most of the road/drivetrain noise.

-SM

·
Registered
97 Posts
this is what i did. herculined the whole inside floor (front to back) and the back side wheel wells. then put insulation down inside the whole cab. i bought it at Pep Boys (4x6 sheets). the card board side panels i replaced with 3/8 inch plywood i cut out to fit. then i carpeted the inside flooring and the side panels.
Man what a difference!! Don't have to yell to someone in the back seats, NOW!!
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
what? i cant hear you!!! i am in my TRUCK!!!!! ;D ;Dj/k

jays space blanket idea is a decent one, but i would definitely reccomend the under coating, either herculiner or rhino lining

eric

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
chargerup92 said:
this is what i did. herculined the whole inside floor (front to back) and the back side wheel wells. then put insulation down inside the whole cab. i bought it at Pep Boys (4x6 sheets). the card board side panels i replaced with 3/8 inch plywood i cut out to fit. then i carpeted the inside flooring and the side panels.
hope this helps
I have to take my doors all apart and change the motors and solonoids soon enough, I was wondering would that herculiner work inside the outer door panels as well?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Ram said:
chargerup92 said:
hope this helps
I have to take my doors all apart and change the motors and solonoids soon enough, I was wondering would that herculiner work inside the outer door panels as well?
about the only prob i could see in using it in the outer door panels is then any moisture that collects in the doors would have no place to drain

eric

·
Registered
97 Posts
i put the insulation that i got at pep boys on the door panels. there are drain holes at the bottom of my doors, left them open. it made a good difference.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I found some stuff I used on my '90's door panels. It's like bubblewrap with foil on both sides. Really thin 1/8" maybe. Works great. Got it at the home improvement store.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Could use a product called Dynamat. Its thin and it kills road noise and harmonics inside the vehicle. It's used as a sound deadner for car stereo systems. It somes in rolls in different thickness. It just sticks on. They have it for floors and door panels. You can find it at a car stereo place or you can order it from summit racing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have also have had good results by adding a second shifter boot to insulate the noise coming from my noisy np435 crap what a diff! man these things are noisy Mike.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
duallycrew said:
Could use a product called Dynamat. Its thin and it kills road noise and harmonics inside the vehicle. It's used as a sound deadner for car stereo systems. It somes in rolls in different thickness. It just sticks on. They have it for floors and door panels. You can find it at a car stereo place or you can order it from summit racing.
It's also expensive as all hell. Enough to do just your floor could very easily run you several hundred to a thousand bucks. I found this other stuff that claims to be better than Dynamat for a fraction of the price. It's called Brown Bread http://www.b-quiet.com, and they sell it on Ebay. Dynamat prices at over $125 for 13 square feet (32.5"x58" piece) Brown bread is $125 for 70 sq ft. They'll even send you a sample of Dynamat to compare with theirs. That's the route I'm going to go when I gut my interior.

Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
I just used house carpet padding remnants, cut and taped together to fit all the curves and humps. Very cheap and nicely quiet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Smokey said:
I just used house carpet padding remnants, cut and taped together to fit all the curves and humps. Very cheap and nicely quiet.
hi folks
i am in the process of replacing the front floor pans in my 76 dodge crew cab.i will be spraying it with undercoating first.
then i will put the insulation over that.check out this web site.
i got 20' of the insulation for $66.00 and some change.

www.bondedlogic.com

got it from a company called rainbow designs,in denver,co
phone # is 1-303-571-0133 check for a distributor in your
area.

ron

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check out http://www.b-quiet.com I have used the product called brown bread. It works better than Dynamat. If you don't want to spend the money on covering your whole vehicle you can do this. You can still have good sound deadening qualities if you just place strips over the high noise areas and fill in with what material you have left. This stuff is self sticking and cuts with some heavy duty scissors or a razor knife. The manufacturer actually sells this stuff on E-bay cheaper than he does direct from his web site. That's where I buy my stuff. Here is an example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1498&item=3089261338&rd=1

·
Registered
552 Posts
PowerRam 90 said:
I found some stuff I used on my '90's door panels. It's like bubblewrap with foil on both sides. Really thin 1/8" maybe. Works great. Got it at the home improvement store.
it is called reflectix. I have a roll sitting in the back of my truck just for this purpose. I am going to give it a try! (it is suppose to be used for insulating ducts and stuff)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You could also just double up the jute under the carpet. Call a local interior shop in your area and find out how much they want for a roll (usually something like 36" wide by x feet long). The carpet kit that I bought for my RC had some jute sewn into the bottom of the carpet, and then I added my own second layer for less than $50.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just 'Refletix' my truck, under headliner, behind cardboard side panels, plastic door panels and the inside of the doors.
just cant decide if i want to coat the floorboard or more refletix and re use the nasty old carpet.

any ideas on really cleaning that nasty old thing?

btw, the truck is more quiet and much cooler.

·
Registered
552 Posts
well, if you were local here, i could get my brother to help you. He is a carpet restoration guy and i probably could get him to do it realy cheap for you. I am sure they would charge too much to do it for your normally though (look in the phone book under carpet restoration, cleaning, etc).
I know on ebay they sell entire new carpet kits for the TD/Ramchargers for under 200bucks (which is a lot of money, but it is a made to fit deal)

·
Registered
773 Posts
arent you only about 81/2 hours away on I-10?
how good a discount? LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts