Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a '85 el camino with the 305 and the quadrajet 4 barrel. the guy i bought it from said the previous owner rebuilt the carb but didnt hook up the ecm (but its been hooked back up since then. well he said unless you use premium gas the engine will diesel when you shut it off. is there a way to fix this? would i be able to use unleaded with octane boost each time i fill up? any other ideas? ???

G

·
Sounds like something is out of adjustment. I would check timing first then do all the regular tune up type stuff. If all that fails, its in that carb. Might need to be torn down again and rebuilt, may not have been done right the first time.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
That doesn't make sense to me.

I had an 81 Regal that had the whole GM ecm thing. I disconnected it and ran it with a non-feed back carb and a vaccuum advance dist instead of the hei one. Also, I had to put a switch in to lock up the torque converter. That was about it. I never had problems with run-on. Maybe it has different heads or something?

Have you tried 87 octane?

I always thought dieseling was due to deposits in the combustion chamber.

edit...
If you don't figure it out, I will talk to a guy I work with. He races small block Chevys and he and his brother do all the engine work. Thing is, I don't go back to work till Friday.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I was just thinking....

If the carb was rebuilt, and it was an original 4bbl, it should have been a Q-Jet most likely. On a GM car w/an ecm, it should have been a feed back carb...E4ME or something like that. If it was rebuilt and the ecm not hooked up, it wouldn't have worked right any way.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the guy i bought the car from set the timing to the stock specs so that's probably not it,i think the carb might need to be tuned a little. i'm gonna ask a few of the chevy guys at work to took at it and see if they can figure it out.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
What rpm does it idle at? Have you tried lowering it?

-SM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts