Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone said its better to stroke out a 400 block then a 440 why would that be?
I am not saying he is wrong it just donest make much since to me.
He is trying to sell a stoked out 400 block, crank etc so who knows?

Thanks for any input. PG

·
Vendor
11,781 Posts
When I get to finishing the RC with the RB in it I will take a 440 block & stroke it to 540. You can go more but it is a lot more time & $.

I have a nice built 440 in the garage but I am going with a fresh build 440 block stroked to 540 W/indy heads :).

Are you looking for a good 440?
Jim

·
Registered
303 Posts
Drag racers that wanted to avoid extra weight, were more interested in the 400 block. 
It will also fit in a narrower area, due to the lower deck, the overall width of the motor narrower.
It's much easier to stroke the taller deck blocks.  Even if you give up the 400's extra .030 bigger bore.
The extra weight of a 440 is meaningless in our trucks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one is already and just been done by a high end machine shop bored to .60 over anyone else bugged by that since that is as far as you can go? I think it bugs me too much. PG

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
True the 400 is a bit for rigid given the lower deck height, but the overall external size is really what makes the difference.  The change in dimensions is relatively small, but as a guy who is putting a stroked 400 in a 69 Dart, I can tell you firsthand it fits much nicer all around than the 440 I test fit.  Having said that, I gotta agree with stftruck and others on this - the size and weight differences are negligible in a full size Dodge truck - I'd go for the 440 every time, stroked or not.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the 383 reved and the 440 pulled , the 400 is the same , adding stoke to it add's the 440's pull . the 400 /440 was more like a 340 compaired to a 360 the 340 was a "hotter" motor than the 360 ever was ... but there's no substitution for cubic inches .... so.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.