Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my roommate decided to go offroading after a big storm sunday morning. I haven't had my 87 W150 long. i bought it off a fellow college student for 800 bucks cause he needed the money. I feel that I have gotten a sweet deal. it came with 34 inch Super swampers already on it. so far I've cut the fenders, added an electric fan, and a Warn 9.5ti winch. and fixed the taillights.... but I am still getting spanked by that stupid Zuki of my roommates... I am either gonna have to lift my dodge 4 inches and get 38's and lockers front/rear, or just sell it and buy 2 Zuki's cause they are twice as slow, haha. reply back and gimme some input.....

·
Registered
230 Posts
All I have to say is lockers would definately help...btw, any specs on the truck? 318? 9.25? 3.23s? Lockers and maybe some gears could help, lift would be nice but keep it tame if its still your daily driver. As for the zuki...looks like something that i crapped out 10 minutes ago :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, its got a Dana 44 with crappy CAD, and a 318 2bbl, a 9 1/4 rear and a NP435, and I'm guessing a NP208 tcase. it came factory with no AC and it spent most of its time on an oil field in PA till it made the trip to Alabama. i think it has never been lifted, maybe some add-a-leafs in the back. I wacked the crap out of the fenders with a new sawzall and cutting disks on a grinder. this military place down the road in Montgomery, AL sells dana 60/14 bolts for pretty cheap so I might go ahead and hook those up when I do a lift kit.

as for the suki he cut the back off it and is going to fab up a entire rollcage for it. i think he's got a spool in the rear and a lockright in front.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
yeah but remember that engine is like a no horspower mofo too man . ..So plan on vetsing some douigh in the engine as well as the tranny .... remember bigger and badder parts mean mena bigger and badder over hauls lol . nice rig man good wheeler man .... just crush trhe damn suzki and get it over with lol .

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Get yourself some lockers, lock the CAD and go with a set of lock out hubs.. Get a 4Bbl intake, carb, cam and headers.. Do a shackle flip to gain a few more inches on the cheap, borgeson shaft for the steering.. and then have him try to follow you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know people have probably asked this a million times, but can you swap out the CAD for a one-piece shaft and run lock out hubs, you would probably have to make a cover for the cad though....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think you probably could.. but they have the instructions in the how-to section on how to simply lock the CAD; and then you run the lock outs.. I think that'd be a more practical solution as opposed to replacing more expensive parts.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Nice truck! Ah I had 35s on my RC and it didn't have any balls in 4Lo cause of the 3.21 gears :( I'd say just put you some 4.10s in there and give er hell! Unless your like me,if your going to upgrade..then UPGRADE. I'm trying to sell my RC and I've done started building one with 60/14 bolt,44s and 4 speed. Looks like we're getting a few more Bama-er fellers posting on the site to :)

Jimmy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alabama Dodge guys unite! ah man i broke one of those "automatic' looking hubs off my D44... so i gotta save up a few bucks and get me some warn lockouts.... i think i'm gonna ghetto lock the CAD to while i'm at it. other than that i've sanded her down, did some bondo work, and its in its 2nd primer coat right now. I'm thinking of painting it Satin black, you know sorta like the flat black color. i think it would look okay. its either satin black, OD green, or desert storm sand color....
here is a pic of me throwing up the shocker, riding in my roommates POS zuki again, since my truck is broke... he finally got his roll cage put in, we where heading towards the creek.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
A really wake up for a carbed 2bbl 318 is a swap to an Edelbrock Performer intake and carb. It will be a night and day difference in performance. Did that swap when I first bougth my '85 Ramcharger. The 318 was WAY under power even thought compression was good, and it was otherwise healthy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update: I took the hub apart with some wierd socket nut and one of the bearings pretty much ate itself, so after 35 bucks in new bearings/races/seals and after adjusting/repacking the other side I am good to go. learned how to do it on my own... which makes me a manly man now. I figured this out after i have already ordered some Warn hubs.... o'well i'll put them on anyways.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
some more weekend FUN!!!!! since i spray bomb'd my truck black and adjusted my back brakes... you know i just had to test her out again. It was a hot and sticky day so i had to go fast through some 2wd mud holes to keep myself from sweating too much. too bad towards the end of the trip i had developed some sort of CAD problems.... which i'll fix next weekend along with a front u-joint replacement and an install of alum. intake and 4bbl carb.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no lift.... all stock suspension. I think the previous owner bought new shocks for it. I'm having some ignition problems right now so the beast is dead till i can find me some replacement parts.. thanks for the good comments. makes me wanna fix it even faster.

right now i have a lockright for the rear, headers, new alternator to put in, but i can't find the time to install them.... football season.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Cool truck, it looks like a lot of fun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts