Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, there's some really screwed up states out there.

For the past week or so I've been trying to see what the requirements are for carrying a gun (not loaded or concealed but locked up) while travelling interstate. I still have no idea. :p

I feel real lucky to live in Maine. The only time you need a permit is to carry concealed or carry loaded in a motor vehicle. Open carry is ok and unloaded in a vehicle is ok, even if it's on the seat next to you....resident or non-resident.

I have a ME and NH CCW. They are both honored in Kentucky and Tennessee....but not in any of the other states I am driving through. I may be covered by this part of the US Code.....but then again, maybe not.

Sec. 926A. - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
I tried to see about possesion in TX, but the laws were so vaguely written that I couldn't figure them out. Can anyone tell me if I can legally possess a pistol as a non-resident in Texas. I'm not talking loaded or concealed, just in my possession.

Anybody know about laws for driving through the following states: MA, NY, PA, OH, and Arkansas (I don't know the abbreviation :p)

Here's the site I started at. It has links to state websites to see the laws. www.packing.org

>I put this in the Site Contributor's Board cause I figure the whole world doesn't need to be able to read this.<

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Not sure but I will ask a Deputy Sheriff who wheels with us and I'm sure he will know. Do you have a conceled permit for your state?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I have one for my state (Maine) and a non-resident permit for New Hampshire as well.

Thanks Skip.

Ted

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
In TX we have the cancealed handgun permit, but I am not sure about out of state. I don't see why not, TX is a big hunting state and we have hunters come from all over the country to hunt here, and they carry firearms, so not sure why you should have any problems.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Ma I believe is a no-no. They have signs mentioning it on all the main roads @ the state borders.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
To drive thru NY you need the weapon in a locked box, not accesible to you (in the trunk), the ammo needs to be in a locked box seperate from the weapon (in the glove box or under the seat) see how they are seperated, in a truck they really want it in the back, but i'll be damned im gonna put that kind of value in the bed to get knocked all over, even tied down

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

I looked at the NRA/ILA site and saw all kinds of info, but some of it about Maine is only half correct, so I wondered about other states.

If I can legally possess it in TX, I may bring it with me, just break it down and lock up the barrel and receiver in 2 different containers.

Although TN and KY will honor my Maine ccw, so I don't have to worry there.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally got the info I was looking for.

In Texas, you can not carry openly at all and you cannot carry concealed without a permit. I don't want to go to a Texas jail, so a hand gun is verboten.......a shot gun on the other hand......;D

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yopu cna carry it like u mentioned man separate here in Ohio for sure ..... u got the permits from your state it's good here as far as i know ....

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
You have to wiegh several factors, your net worth, and what are you protecting.
How much are you worth, to your family and friends?
I would say PRICELESS, have a judge try and convict you on a 2nd ammendment violation is gonna be hard for them.
It is better to carry concealed, than not to carry, if you live with the gun, then you will carry it, and know when and where to use it, if you become good enough, then carry.
I have a personal rule, carry, but if someone takes it away from you it is YOUR fault. YOU carry use it if you have too, like an AMERICAN EXPRESS card, never leave home without it.
Haranging is agressive behavior while concealed armed, so beware, dont threaten while armed, always act passive, but with vigilance. Always be on "WATCH" when armed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here in Pa if you do not have a permit, the gun and ammo must be locked in different locations. The trunk and the glove box work. If you have a permit for Pa(I dont think out of state permits are any good here) you can carry a loaded firearm in the car. That is what the sheriff told me about 5 years ago when I got my permit but things may have changed.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
TN got permit(even out of state) no problem transporting in vehicle

TN no permit: gun and ammo must be stored seperate and out of reach, don't have to be locked though transporting in vehicle.

TN on person conceiled, legal with permit, verboten without

TN on person exposed, legal for hunting. Its a violation of state law to carry exposed with or without permit other than hunting if the city/county you are in has ordanance against it.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Todd,

Have you ever been to www.packing.org ?

That's where I've gotten some good info on other states ccw regs.

I think it's cool that TN honors both my ME and NH permit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In Ohio if you do not have ccw you must keep the gun and ammo in 2 separate places and locked up I used to keep the ammo in the back and the gun unloaded in the center con locked

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Hey coop, can you get the NH rules for me??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts