Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically I'm happy to sit around and look through catalogs and cool parts and stuff for cars and trucks, particularly Mopars.  Nothing makes me happier than a lazy day of wrenching or fabricating something on my truck with no real hurry or deadline.  Just wrenching to improve the truck or just to pass sometime and relax with a beer.  But some days, I just get really fed up with all the stupid little things about it.  With my parts background I'm pretty used to the idea that some parts don't fit certain years or build dates.  I can normally deal with this even when there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.  But today I was doing a little checking on a swap that I though would go off without a hitch and improve my truck only to be foiled by Mother Mopar and her stupid parts.

My friend and I have been planning the scrapping of my old '74 W100 that he now currently owns.  This was the black truck that I bobbed the bed on, swapped a 383 for the 318 and made numerous mods and improvements to.  The body has finally succumb to rust and with the decent '76 W100 he picked up recently, it's just a lot easier to scrap the '74 and swap the goodies he wants to keep into the '76.  One of the parts he does not want is the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch that I paid about $350 for when I built the truck.  So I was going to get the clutch back in exchange for doing some other work on the '76.  This seemed a good deal to me since I would get a nice strong clutch for my Ramcharger and I've been meaning to pull the transmission and replace the input bearing on the NP435 and the pilot bearing also.  Swapping in that clutch would seem like the ideal plan right?  Wrong.  Seems when Dodge went to the hydraulic clutch linkage, they changed the clutch as well, probably due to the odd fork that goes all the way across the bellhousing.  So the Centerforce clutch will fit up to 1987 models but not '88 since that was the first year the hydraulic clutch was used across the board.  I missed it by one year.  DAMMIT!  :mad:

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
Man I hate when that happens!  :-\

·
Registered
136 Posts
Um...it is Mopar. You should expect difficulties. Remember...adapt and overcome.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
I know how you feel everyday with every catalog. Mostly summit.

I sit on the crapper doing my business day dreaming about parts I would love to be putting on my 90 W150 or my 66 Barracuda.... then come to realize I cant find a freaking part in the catalog that will work for my years.... ooooh... except for a lame lund visor or something by putco. Really??? would someone really want to put something made by putco on their truck.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
willy J said:
I know how you feel everyday with every catalog. Mostly summit.

I sit on the crapper doing my business day dreaming about parts I would love to be putting on my 90 W150 or my 66 Barracuda.... then come to realize I cant find a freaking part in the catalog that will work for my years.... ooooh... except for a lame lund visor or something by putco. Really??? would someone really want to put something made by putco on their truck.
There's stuff out there for the '64 - 66 Barracudas, alot of it can be found for plain ole Dusters/Demons since they're both A-Body.

Go-Fast Goodies for a 318 will fit a 273 (provided you don't have a '64 273 where the Intake Bolt Holes on the Heads/Intake are drilled at a different angle)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Summit catalogs are full of Chevy parts anyhow
or furd muskrat parts.

im hoping you found out the clutch wouldnt fit before you pulled the trans lanty?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I feel your pain.  I had a 78 club cab, long bad 3/4 ton with a truck 318 and 4 speed.  I had to do the brakes.  So I figured, no problem, that's easy enough.  Ha, ha, ha, sad the Dodge assembly line personal.  I had to get get front rotors for a 79, rear drums for a 77.  I had to drive about 50 mile to the main warehouse, which was the only place that had everything I needed, not once, not  twice, but four times.  Not only did it cost me for the parts, but also a full tank of gas on the RC.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zack, I'm still in the planning stages and don't even have the old truck here to strip down yet so I was doing some homework.  Damn glad I did before tearing into it but I sort of need to pull the transmission soon anyway but I figured if I did the clutch and all at the same time it wouldn't be that bad and I could count on not doing it again for a long time, lol.  Oh well.

Duffy, I know exactly what you mean.  The D60 in the rear of my Ramcharger is out of a '81 W250 but is identical to the rear out of my '74 W200 and they are not supposed to be the same.  I'm sort of glad they are the same since all the parts will swap back and forth but it was a bit of a shock when I tried to do the axle bearings and none of them were right.  Luckily I remembered the '74 axle being the same from a few years before and ordered stuff for it again and it all fit.  What's the Mopar thing about parts assembled randomly?  I'm beginning to believe it, lol.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that certainly qualifies when speaking of the W100, lol.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should see it now, lol.  I'll take pics before we scrap it.  ;D

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I know your pain. I painted my truck a couple years ago, cutting out bedsides and fiberglassing to avoid rust. Guess what?  :mad: So, since my cab floor is thin, my bedsides have terminal cancer, and my fenders have stage 1 despite my efforts, I will be enjoying a complete body swap and custom build in the future! YAY! One good thing tho. Where I work, they were gonna throw away a whole box of weatherstrip cause they didn't need it. I had them hold it and took a sample home. IT MATCHES PERFECTLY!  ;D So, at least my doors won't leak water or air once I get done!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts