Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

The 318 in the RC was overhauled and tossed back in. Initially the first night she purred like a kitten with no issues. First test drive she was a bit bogged down - but not much. Second road test this morning, different story.

-Stalled when pulling out onto the driveway out of the garage
-Bogged down power - foot almost to the floor to get it accelerating. No choppy performance, just low idle. Engine hesitated when shifted from 2nd to 3rd for a heart beat then picked up.
-Stalled when I took my foot off the pedal to the brake to slow for a red light.
-Stalled when I started off the green light with normal acceleration
-VERY slow to get to speed - foot almost fully depressed to reach max 80 KM/H (can't get faster).
-No choppy performance throughout, no high idle when in N or P.
-Engine performed the same way hot and cold
-318/727/NP-205 combo - truck was driven in 2HI not 4HI.

Thinking fuel issue. As it's the 2BBL Holly carb with the fuel injection setup, I've got no mechanical fuel pump or a filter at the block. No pressure gauge (so I have no reading of fuel pressure yet).

Before I tear this apart and lose my hair over this (severe time crunch to drive back out from NS to Ontario to be with my son at the hospital), trying to get this done ASAP. Thought I would post this here to pick your brains.

To me this is either a fuel or vacuum issue.

Thoughts?

Mark.

·
Super Moderator
14,325 Posts
"2BBL Holly carb with the fuel injection setup"

either you have a carb or you have fuel injection. Which is it? (I ask because some people convert from one to the other). Do you mean throttle body injection?

I would check all the vacuum lines and make sure they didn't pinch a fuel line somewhere. If you have fuel injection, you can check for codes with the key off-key on (3 x) maneuver and count the flash sequence on the dashboard light.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, TBI. No codes. Sitting at 14.5 PSI so no issue with pump. Moving onto T/S Carb. Driving back again it looks like there is too much fuel going in. Continuing with trouble shooting. Will update.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TBI was a sin - fully bunged up and plugged PVC Nipple along with the MAP sensor nipple. Cleaning out now then reassembling TBI once done.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TBI put together and on, test drive showed it still lags in power, but the stalling and hesitation is now gone. So, letting it cool down and tomorrow morning going to take a look at the dizzy, plugs and the gap and go from there. Pump puts out 14.5 PSI on the button... more tomorrow.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
shine a timing light at the injector spray pattern , it should be a perfect CONE shape with NO thin or heavy spots or drips 

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DB - looked great. Thanks for that.

Problem was solved. Timing was off afterall, combined with the shift linkage needing to be slightly adjusted. Between that, the cleaning out of the TBI and the lines, she runs like a swiss watch now. Time to head to bed.

Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.