Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a design for an extremely low profile, virtually silent, optionally solar powered, 100% electrical air conditioner for SUV's. It draws a mere 20 amps at full power, and at full power it can cool the interior down to approximately 45 degrees.

With the addition of solar panels to the roof of the ramcharger, it can also run without draining the battery even with the engine off.

I am working on a design using the same technology to make a super-cool fuel cooler, and in the near future a system for creating TRUE COLD AIR intake.

If anyone is interested in my designs please email me at [email protected]

I am located in texas in the Houston area, and I will have a fully functional prototype availible in a couple of weeks.

-Josh

·
Registered
810 Posts
It sounds interesting, but I was wondering about your statement that it brings the interior temperature down to about 45°F. What change in temperature (delta T) could it maintain? I mean, it wouldn't be much to achieve an interior temperature of 45° if it is 30° outside.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sounds real interesting to me. I'm down in deep south texas, mcallen, so anything that'll keep me cool is a good thing. How about some more details? How big is it? Where would it fit? does it replace the factory or would it work in conjunciton with? How much would it cost? What type of coolant does it use?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Dealing with Florida's humidity here but I wasn't too big about the MPG drop that a conventional AC would bring, thus Im really interested. How soon can you get us more info (instalation & cost mostly)?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Wouldn't solar panels that put out at least 240 watts (20amps X 12 volts) cost about $3,500 or so?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Not to mention they'd take up theentire roof and hood... Good idea though.. I'd like to see specs...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Yeah, I find it hard to take this seriously.

First of all a sustained 20 amps is HUGE.
It sounds like he is using peltier devices for the cooling.
They get cold on one side, but get get very hot on the other. In the case of AC it is as much of a problem to get rid of the head as it is to cool. That is why such devices are used in AC systems.

One AC trick that I have seen make a huge difference is switching to the new radial SANDEN compressor. They only take a couple HP to run as compared to the 20 or 30 the old cast iron compressors consumed and they will get your truck ICE COLD!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes, I also figure he is planning to use one of those thermoelectric devices, so I sould like to know how he plans to get the heat out, and how he plans to capture and drain the resulting condensation.
Another way to cool off a RamCharger would be to build a huge vortex tube, mount it to the roof, pipe the cold side in through the roof vent, and then drive really really fast! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts