Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where you can still get parts to put together a snow commander hydraulic system? i need brackets, pump, lines, and controls (ok i need everything)

does anyone still make this stuff?

also is meyers the only plows dodge put on the snow commanders? cause id also need the lift ram to go with the snow commander system. my e-47 pump is electric id need just a standard hydraulic ram.

any kind of pictures, diagrams, or info on how the setup works would be helpfull, ive seen bits and peices over the years but yet to see what a fully assembled system looks like.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,768 Posts
Bill, talk to mopar65pa. He's putting together the same setup.

I just found him a high mount PS pump and brackets at the j/y, which I think was all he needed to finish it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
If you have 'Farm N Fleet' or 'TSC-Tractor Supply Company' in the vicinity.. both of them carry very large assorments of hydraulic parts as well.
Aaron
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i basicly came up with the idea....... to leave my power steering alone, but get the snow commander power steering brackets that mount on top of the motor and use another power steering pump mounted on top to control the plow.......

heres where i get confused...... i have 2 lines from the pump (a pressure and a return) theres 3 rams on the plow (2 side 1 lift) and each of those has only one line each....

so what kind of freaking control valve do i need to work this..... (yes i want FULL HYDRAULIC control) no cable or electric crap..... im gonna have high pressure lines running straight into the cab. but what kinda valve do i need to control the rams.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
What happened to the plow truck you just bought? I thought that had a plow on it?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats another truck, this system is going on my ramcharger....... i just picked up another myers plow and a frame for my truck but i wanna set this up my way...... ive got the 3 rams, i got the pump i think will work, i just need to dig or make some brackets, run the lines and figure out what to use as the control valve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Grainger Industrial Supply.. Should have any hydraulic valving you may need.. Basically.. it's be like a hydraulic rail, with 3 valves on it. Pressure goes in.. & to the 3 rams.. with 3 seperate control valves.. and a main return line. If I remember correctly..
Close as I can think of off the top of my head.. Look under a wrecker at the bed controls.. they'll be done the same way, but with a few more options.
Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Bill- said:
ok i basicly came up with the idea....... to leave my power steering alone, but get the snow commander power steering brackets that mount on top of the motor and use another power steering pump mounted on top to control the plow.......

heres where i get confused...... i have 2 lines from the pump (a pressure and a return) theres 3 rams on the plow (2 side 1 lift) and each of those has only one line each....

so what kind of freaking control valve do i need to work this..... (yes i want FULL HYDRAULIC control) no cable or electric crap..... im gonna have high pressure lines running straight into the cab. but what kinda valve do i need to control the rams.
I hate to rain on your parade, but with all the lines, and cylinders, I don't think a P.S. pump will hold enough fluid in the reservoir to do the job. I have the complete factory setup, and it has a fender mounted reservoir that holds about a gallon of fluid.
I do know you won't be able to find parts at the dealer.
If you do need pics of anything specific let me know, my setup is fully operational (I just plowed my driveway with it this morning).
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i really cant see the power steering pump being "underpowered" there perfectly capable of power the steering and hydro assist rams..... so why couldnt i just add an extra resivoir?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
Bill- said:
i really cant see the power steering pump being "underpowered" there perfectly capable of power the steering and hydro assist rams..... so why couldnt i just add an extra resivoir?
That's what he means Bill, you need an extra reservior.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats easy.... i can put a resivoir between the return line from the pump to the control valve....... i can make a nice 1 gallon resivoir mounted to the passengers side inner fender
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Bill- said:
thats easy.... i can put a resivoir between the return line from the pump to the control valve....... i can make a nice 1 gallon resivoir mounted to the passengers side inner fender
That will work fine, you will need to mount the P.S. pump up top , and the plow pump where the P.S. pump would normally go, and put the res. on the driver's side because it will be gravity fed.
The original plow pumps are the same as the P.S. pump but with no cap, and are hooked up just as you described.
Oh yeah, you'll hafta seal the cap on the plow pump too.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top