Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the ctm axle joints use full circle clips to keep them in the yokes.

What do you think about using c clips in place of the clips that come with the teh spicer U joints?

Good idea, bad idea will it even work? let hear opinions

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
We've been doing it for years on our 60's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have to modify the yokes for it to work?
Is it worth the effort?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i normaly run brute (spelling ?) froce from autozone ,which btw a while back my dad ordered some hp u-joints from jegs or summit and they were the same as the ones from the zone, but they are quaranteed for life and they seam to be much thicker than the oem u-joints
so are these ctm's beter then brute force and do they make them for drive shafts? also whats the price for the ctm's because the brute froce are about $12-$15
sorry again not trying to steal the thread

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
way more than 12 bux. IMHO, a ujoint that is guaranteed for life is good enough for me. especially until i step up to a 60. if i start ripping u joints in my 60 on a regular basis (read every time i use 4x4) then i might consider ctms. but i dont plan on it any time soon.

Duane

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
yeah, i shoulda added one or two more ways there. they are 185 for the d44 axle, 250 for the 60.

Duane

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
thats just crazy if i think ill just keep replacing the brute froce as a matter of fact they havent busted yet the shaft that i frist put them in on (rear) twisted into 2

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
gmule said:
Did you have to modify the yokes for it to work?
Is it worth the effort?
To get back on topic......

Our machine shop does the work on the parts. I know it's not much but I'll find out exactly what they do for you.

Have never lost a u-joint since because of the cap coming off.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
CLRracer said:
yeah, i shoulda added one or two more ways there. they are 185 for the d44 axle, 250 for the 60.

Duane
Oh yeah they suck those ctms, garunteed for life if you keep taking them out every few days to grease them, or did they fail to mention that part, the more you use the vehicle there in the more they have to be disasembled and greased, riiiiiiiight that's just extra BS work for a lot of money, get a good spicer joint.

As for the original topic im lost, are you talking about the normal c clips for the u joints in the axle or the d shafts or what.

Or are you asking if you should machine your axles to go to a snap style clip in the axle to hold the joint cap?

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Your the only one.

I'm going down to the shop this weekend. I'll see if he has any axles I can get some pics of with the machining before and after.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
kyot said:
Your the only one.

I'm going down to the shop this weekend. I'll see if he has any axles I can get some pics of with the machining before and after.
Hows this??
before,,,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
after,,,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
u-joints and clips

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
That what you were looking for? Bogger35, if you still need these, let me know, I found them buried in with a bunch of other pics!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Man you guy's are shot, tell me do you do this to your drive shafts also????????

·
Registered
310 Posts
Brute Force joints are only guanteed a year from autozone here. They suck, I bought some and they are smaller (less beefy) than napa or carquest ones, and supposedly lifelong lubed. I will keep them as emergency spares, but wont use them otherwise.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i too ran into some problems with brute force u joint b4.............went toauto zone for one for the front axel shaft.....damn thing didnt fit.....right........took it back.....got another..........set it beside the other one...same damn thing...............and got a few more out to check too.same............seems some of the caps were different heights!!!! and even some of the cross sections wer different lenghts also.....seems to be poor qc work.....so went to napa.......got the sucker it went right in with no problem

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.