Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
changed the cap, rotor, plug wires, and spark plugs. put everything back together and no start. turned over a couple times and it made a pop noise in the throttle body and smoke was coming from there (stinks). could just a tune-up cause this much trouble?
the dodge place said i had the wires crossed, so i took the FSM and redone them, still no start, just turns over. acts like it wants to run but don;t.
any ideas, need to drive
???

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You checked the order, but did you check to see if the firing order was going in the correct direction on the cap? (CW or CCW)

-SM

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok according to oyur info at the bottom of oyur screen it says you have a 360, this is going to be clockwise rotation of your distributor rotor.

you will need to bring number one cylinder up to top dead center, with this done, look and see where rotor is pointing, this should be number one, place number one spark plug wire on tower at this point, then working in a clockwise order place wires on in this order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

remember however, that cylinders are not 1234 down one side and 5678 down the other

driver side plugs from front to back are number 1-3-5-7, passenger side plugs are numberd front to back 2-4-6-8

so if oyu are looking at the front of the engine wit hthe passenger side of truck on your left the plug wires will be like this, with the O in the center being the distributor

8 O 7
6 5 __> driver side
4 3
2 1

hope this clarifies things a bit

eric

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Pull out the spark plug and stick a piece of baling or clothes hanger wire in the hole, just make sure it's long enough that when the piston is down, the wire isn't gonna fall down into the cyl. Then, turn the crank. When the wire stops moving up, you've found TDC.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i had the same problem when i did that on mine, i used the haynes book and did like they said and i had a few crossed so it would sound bad i got pissed off after a while and just looked at my other truck and just wired it like that and kaboom all good

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trying to do a tune-up by yourself with limitied tools and space ( i feeling my blood pressure rise) is not recommended. messed with it a little bit this morning and no go. buddy of mine came over to lend me some help and advice.
He had the magic touch, I Have VROOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!! NOW
thanks everyone., It was just wires crossed. WHEW

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Once you get it wired up correctly and you don't want to mess with it again, try replacing the plug wires one at a time. It's not so hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts