Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have some worn rings, but theBB doesn't smoke all the time, I have noticed it mainly after high reving or after I let off the loud pedal and start slowing down. Also I turn to go home from a long hill, the truck smokes out the pipes. Is it possible the guides/ stem seals are bad too?

·
Registered
30,111 Posts
yup its the valve seals

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
pulling oil through your valve stem seals due the higher vacuum of the decel.

sounds good right ;D

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could that explain a higher backpressure thru the valve covers. I have had cars that were worn slam out and used oil like crazy and never had this kind of pressure. And all these dang chebbis runnin thru town that fog everything don't seem to have this problem. Oh yeah, I guess it would be good to pull the heads and have worked over while replaceing the seals? - thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
67MIke said:
Could that explain a higher backpressure thru the valve covers. I have had cars that were worn slam out and used oil like crazy and never had this kind of pressure. And all these dang chebbis runnin thru town that fog everything don't seem to have this problem. Oh yeah, I guess it would be good to pull the heads and have worked over while replaceing the seals? - thanks Mike
nop i dont think that would cause back pressure through your Valve covers. quite the opposite. i think it would cause a vaccum since it should only effect it when the valve is open for it to pull oil through the valve stem seals.

now if you jsut rebuild your heads an put em back on but you aver worn or weak rings your gonna burn oil when the vaccuum pulls it through the crancase.

might be a damned if you do damned if you dont. could be time for a rebuild. try a bottle of snake oil that restores compression or helps the rings an change the valve stem seals. if there brittle an cruddy that could explain the smokin problem an might fix it

·
Registered
162 Posts
67MIke said:
High crankcase pressure could be excessive blow- by past the rings or a knackered PCV valve.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the rings, but I'm tryiing to band aid as long as I can. to many things are broke right now, boat basement check book

1 - 7 of 7 Posts