Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Anyone know if removing the smog pump and air line hardware will somehow mess up the SMEC calibration on an 89 D100 TBI? I'm concerned that somehow if I remove the pump the computer's goin to try to compensate since it will see a richer exhaust condition for a given amount of fuel and start leaning things out, causing driveability problems .... also concerned about plugging the cat ...

any advice appreciated

·
Registered
819 Posts
plugging the cat is an issue, but i dont think it will mess with the computer. i know OBXCHARGER has taken it off, and has no problems, and i have run for a while with it unhooked, and i had no problems.

Duane

·
Registered
213 Posts
OhNoMrBill said:
Greetings,

Anyone know if removing the smog pump and air line hardware will somehow mess up the SMEC calibration on an 89 D100 TBI? I'm concerned that somehow if I remove the pump the computer's goin to try to compensate since it will see a richer exhaust condition for a given amount of fuel and start leaning things out, causing driveability problems .... also concerned about plugging the cat ...

any advice appreciated
The only issue you'll have, providing the 02 sensor is operating normally, is with emissions, (depending how strict they are there where you are), and the cats eventually choking up. If the cat(s) already have high mileage, I would consider that you'll sooner be replacing it / them, without the air injection. Otherwise if you're only eliminating the air pump for a performance boost, you're waisting your time. Removing the pump will not add any appreciable performance gain that you can feel. Dave ** RWTD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.