Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a set of non smog headers and want to put a smog legal exhaust on my truck, that is one that will pass smog in colorado. i have to replace my entire exhaust so any help would be useful

thanks!
chris

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
what do you need to pass Colo smog??

Hooker makes a real nice Y pipe.
there are  cheaper Y pipes on the market also but they a restrictive. 

a replacement cat

muffler of your choice...

a 3" tail pipe from a 90/91 CTD would finish the system nicely.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
if I remember correctly he needs the 02 sensor (if new enough of vehicle) x pipe if new enough to need a cat muffler of any type and no leaks. oh and it must go 2 inches passed the passenger carrying part of the vehicle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will i be able to use a set of headers? truck is a 4wd

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
yes but if your truck has an o2 sensor you will have to either get a set with the o2 sensor port or put a o2 sensor port in it and either a cat or a hollow cat behind it.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
http://www.aircarecolorado.com/im240tst.htm

EGR, smog pump, catalytic converter, stock air cleaner/heat tube, these are devices that actually control emissions.

Simply having headers will not likely change emission levels in an IM240 test, and stock manifolds do not control emissions, unless they had some kind of EFE or heat riser mechanism (they do) but this may be able to slip.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
then it needs an o2 sensor and a cat to pass other than that. what joe s said

does that year have a charcoal canister?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yessir

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
cat and canister are visual inspections so as long as the hoses are in the right spot and you have a shell of a cat then you'll pass that part what county are you E-testing in?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be in the boulder area, i am planning on moving there in the near future so I am trying to colorado proof my ramcharger before i go out there

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
ok just so you know the morons at the e-station in boulder make a barbie doll seem like einstein! if you've read some of the e-test before I don't have the links but they thought one of my friends had a v-12 under the hood of his 79 blazer. it was a 350 but who's counting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a question for all of you where would you get a set of headers with an o2 sensor bung already in it & if they cannot be gotten can one be made by a good shop or are the headers too thin to do this?
Thanks, Jo in Richmond

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you can also weld one into one of the tubes near the collector. just flatten it slightly witha  hammer and drill through. be sure to go throught and j-b weld the smog hole shut in the heads when you do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.