Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took all the smog stuff off my truck so now theres no way itd ever pass. is there some way i can get around that so i can drive it on the street? im in santa rosa california.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you register your vehicle in an Area 3 in CA you only have to have it smogged on transfer of title. Area 3 counties are typically your Foothill/High Sierra counties. That's your only legal loophole from what I understand.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
yeah..trinity, siskiyou, what is that, del norte up on the north coast, humboldt, but those are on the other end of the state from you, your gonna hve go get all that stuff and put it back on

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the title is in my name but i never smogged it because it didnt run. i bought it out of a field and rebuilt it. ive heard of that before and there are some areas like that near me but i dont have an address i could use. would a p.o. box work?

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
olescustomfab said:
the title is in my name but i never smogged it because it didnt run. i bought it out of a field and rebuilt it. ive heard of that before and there are some areas like that near me but i dont have an address i could use. would a p.o. box work?
a p.o. box wont work anymore. What I would do is take it to the smog ref, and find out what all you need. You will have to put the smog crap back on though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn. i really hope i dont have to put it all back on. i dont have the cat anymore. i kept all the other stuff. but itd be awesome if there was some way around it.

ive heard that there may be a loophole where if your truck is worth less than itd cost to get it smogged, then you dont have to smog it. has anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
658 Posts
i'm in trinity county youv.e still have to smog it. title transfers don't require smog but registation does. go to the refferee. he'll tell you what you need. better yet put it on propane and eliminate half of the stuff. about all you can lose this way is the charcol canister. you probably need all the vacume stuff but hey if you get lucky and act real dumb they will pass it as long as the numbers are real good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have a refferee at my junior college so ill see what he says.

i just have to get the head light switch wired up so i can break 1 less law to get it there. its not too far.

does the dmv issue temporary registration while im trying to get it smogged? or is it just day passes?

thanks for all the help by the way guys. i really appreciate it. -ole

·
Registered
658 Posts
you can get a roughly 30day permit from DMV while you do this. the college guy are usaly the only ones that do the reffing get in good and it will help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i am from CA, but live in FL now. My buddy in CA has an 83 Blazer that he says he no longer has to smog because of its age, that wont apply to you?

·
Registered
227 Posts
yeah its 75 and older, that is why i bought my 75 so i wouldnt have to deal with the dam smog

depending on the year of your truck you may be able to get a universal cat and throw it on there if thats all you need. used to sell them at pep boys, but i havent work there in 3 years so not sure anymore.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pretty much went though the same thing Dmv will only give you a three day permit , tried everything mine had everything but the cat. However I ask for a 30 or one of those red stickers you see in the windows. They said no , take and if it fails smog they will give you a 90 day permit. So if you want a permit take it to a smog it will fail because no cat and then you can get a permit. And I had to get a cat that was what was met for my truck. Doesn't make any difference the sob won't run now anyway ready to set it on fire.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the dmv gave me a 30 day permit to get it smogged so atleast i can drive it for now. i have a buddy who is confident that he can get it to pass for me and hes got buddys at a few smog shops so things are looking up. looks like its going to be pretty expensive though...

·
Registered
65 Posts
u could always register it thru me. Im in FL and we have NO SMOG because we are trying to choke out the old people, so they go back to Canada.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
take it from someone that has experience, by the time you register your truck in another state and pay the money you could have just smogged the thing.  your better off in the long run, or you could register for offroad use only but then you cant drive it on the streets legally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts