Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there's any sites that could give me some info on the small block 915 and and any other small block heads? I have a chance to get a set of S.B. 915-A heads,( I know that the HOT ones are the J and the X heads). My dad's been looking mostly for the big block parts ( 'cause that's what he knows ), but I've been looking at the small blocks ( 'cause that's what I know ) and I'm needing some info on what's hot and what's not.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have found, there were two types of 915 heads. One has a 1.88" intake valve, and one has the 2.02" intake valve. I was mainly going to buy these for myself to refurbish and put on my 318 with a little bit of a cam and intake. But I want something that'll give a respectable amount of gain, and not something that'll give the same as what I got now.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what I was wondering is what types or styles there was. Looking at the web link, the big valves that I was thinking of only came through on the 340 engines with the 6 pack and had notched pistons. The search continues to find flow numbers etc. etc. thanks everyone.

· Premium Member
6,507 Posts
No no the heads on the 340-6 were different and had a similar style to the w's including rocker gear

· Registered
543 Posts
The big valves could be on a set of 915's, the only way to check it to pull the heads and check. I had a set of small valve 915's on my 318 without milling and they worked great! The truck had a ton of power. Those heads on a 318 with a performer RPM and a 600 holley with headers is a great motor.

· Premium Member
6,507 Posts
When you look for a set of heads, what your looking for is either a j or 915 and then wether or not it has 2.02 already isn't really important what matters is the other 2, then if you have to you install the 2.02 valves and machine the head for it and everything is brand new and no need to worry about sunk heads and stuff, but a j head from a T/A motor is not the same as a j head 915 were talking about here.

But anyway i don't know what answers you want to hear i gave you all the correct answers

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
But anyway i don't know what answers you want to hear i gave you all the correct answers
yea, you're right. Might try using a ball bat to get it in my head next time ;D My dad was talking to the guy on Wednesday and he wants $50 a head = $100 for the pair. They've been setting for awhile and have a little surface rust. But I was going to have them machined anyway. is this a good price for them, or should I keep looking ???

· Premium Member
6,507 Posts
$100 for 915's is good usually you see them for 250 or more.

· Premium Member
4,029 Posts
I have seen a rebuilt set go on ebay for $500. For a set that needs attention, $100 isn't bad, but you can always offer him $50 for both and see what he says.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.