Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the stock slip yokes from the front and rear driveshafts interchangable? I have an 85 RC and an 83 RC parts truck. Both front slip yokes are worn out. The rear yoke from the parts truck is okay. Can I use the rear yoke on the front driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Oh almost forgot the slips along with the splines wear together so you might not get away with it, after replacing this remember to grease these every month, if you tow every 2 weeks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I figured. I can grab the front shaft and shake the hell out of it, so I know the yoke and shaft are worn beyond repair. I'm hoping this will get me by for a while. Thanks guys.

While I'm at it, what's a good alternative to the stock front shaft?

·
Registered
104 Posts
As far as an alternative to the stock front shaft:

ToyRadio told me that mid 70s to early 80s Chevy Blazer Shafts would work.
and
Intense Images said: "ok just about any chevy blazer or truck front shaft will work, your best bet is to find one with a 208 tcase, all the chebs i have seen with a 203 used a yoke style front shaft.

another thing that may have to be done, is some chevies used a different sized front u-joint, you can purchase a crossover u-joint that has chevy sized on one side and dodge sized on the other at about any good parts store.

the u-joint is a maybe, some used it some didnt."

---------------------------------------------------------
Note: this info is for flange type yokes

I asked that question a few weeks ago because Blazers are way more plentiful around here than older Dodges.

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
PG when you get a new shaft made make sure you get a smooth shaft design, the splined shaft (whats there now) sucks it lets in water, also remember to grease these like every other month, more grease intervals if you off-road frequently

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
PG, what year? Colemans surplus usually has a bunch of front shafts for the older, (pre '79) RC's and trucks.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
PG when you get a new shaft made make sure you get a smooth shaft design, the splined shaft (whats there now) sucks it lets in water, also remember to grease these like every other month, more grease intervals if you off-road frequently
Not sure what you mean, Marty. What is a smooth shaft design?

I'm hoping I don't have to have shafts made up, They're too expensive. I did find a site that sells long travel slip yokes and spline stubs. And then I lost the site. For about 150.00 per shaft you could have long travel and 1350 series u joints. I'm gonna try to find that again.

Thanks for the info. {cool}

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
See the service review board look for K&M Driveline.

The smooth slip is a shaft that has the splines all internally located so the grease ring rides ona smooth shaft and no water can get in inbetween the splines

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Here PG this is what i mean, gotta love this tool (digi-cam)

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah half splines is the correct term, but the last time i said half slpines it was confused as being only splined on one side of the circle, so i stick with smooth shaft and in turn i get to confuse you now lol im gonna have to start using half spline/smooth shaft

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
On this note.....

I don't know if it was a good idea, but on both my front and rear drive shafts, I took them apart (indexing them first), then tapped the driveshaft and put a grease fitting in both.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Tapped what where, using the pictures posted here explain where you tapped it

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Ok, I guess I should have said I drilled and tapped the yoke, not d-shaft. You know me and technical terms.

Anyway, I first did this on my 84 rear d-shaft cause I noticed slop there and I had a small banging noise. It fixed it, so I did it to the front and I also did it to my 90 when I got it.

I don't put a lot of grease in, just a few pumps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.