Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a source for a new slip joint for a stock 88 Ramcharger 318 727 4WD ( rear driveshaft) ? I'll just get it welded and balanced locally.
If not... is the slip joint on the front driveshaft the same? Maybe I could find a good used front shaft and reweld the used slip joint onto the rear shaft.
3rd option would be .. if someone could recommend a source for a complete new rear driveshaft that isnt too far from B.C. or WA.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Go here and get a new drive shft ..... Denny's Drive shaft can get a you a new one made and it's guaranteed not to break !!!!!!!!! TheRamchargerMan has one and loves it he runs the piss out of his rig on the trail and even drag races it lol ...

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
See the "product review board" read the post titled "K&M drivelines" , unless you like paying extra then see dennys or whoever else, i can personally attest to putting there shafts thru much more and worse than you or anyone here

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, when I priced my driveshafts, denny's was the cheapest when you consider the warranty....you can get cheaper if you don't want a good warranty.

And no, you will need a new shaft...you can't just weld on a new slip joint.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheRamChargerMan said:
Not sure I understand. I thought if you bought a new slip joint, it could be welded on, as long as it was done by a driveline shop that could insure it was true and balanced. Is there some sort of risk in using the old shaft? It's still in good shape other than the slop in the slip joint.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
K.C. said:
TheRamChargerMan said:
Not sure I understand. I thought if you bought a new slip joint, it could be welded on, as long as it was done by a driveline shop that could insure it was true and balanced. Is there some sort of risk in using the old shaft? It's still in good shape other than the slop in the slip joint.
Yes you are correct, it can and is done

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well there Ed, it seems you do anything.

When I was checking into driveshafts, I was told by more than one company that replacing just the slip joint is not recommended, as it costs almost as much as a new one, and you are still using old parts on the other end.

·
7,995 Posts
The slip yoke is actually the part that slides off the stub/spline...the stub/spline is what gets welded to the tube. Should be replaced as a set as they both wear and create problems. :)
Maybe these guys can help?
Washington

Six States Distributors, Inc. - Pasco
1404 East Lewis
Pasco, WA 99301
Phone: (509) 545-4511 (local)
(800) 572-9694 (In State)
(800) 635-5014 (Out of State)
Email: Pasco at sixstates dot com

Six States Distributors, Inc. - Spokane
East 3711 Trent
Spokane, WA 99202
Phone: (509) 535-7671 (local)
(800) 572-4301 (In State)
(800) 541-4320 (Out of State)
Email: Spokane at sixstates dot com

High Mountain 4WD - Spokane
East 3711 Trent
Spokane, WA 99202
Phone: (509) 534-3885 (local)
(800) 572-9694 (In State)
(800) 635-5014 (Out of State)
Email: Spokane at highmountain4x4 dot com
URL: http://www.highmountain4x4.com

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
Well there Ed, it seems you do anything.

When I was checking into driveshafts, I was told by more than one company that replacing just the slip joint is not recommended, as it costs almost as much as a new one, and you are still using old parts on the other end.
Really so when you buy a slip joint from some incompetent driveshaft company they only replace one side of a 2 piece slip joint for you, and then tell you you need an entire new shaft, riiight i see, keep going to those guy's, you simply cut the old slip out and put a new one in and by slip i mean stub and slip together (it's really 1 piece). try again (it's more invloved then cut and weld but im not getting into it here)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts