Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would post up a thread on Sleipnir. It won't be a "build" or anything radical, but I do have a few things interesting planned for it and this will be a good place to post pics of it, if nothing else. So here she is on New Year's Day, 2020 when I was test driving her:

Ignore the blue oval emblem on the front tag, she was traded in at one of the other stores in our group that just happens to be a Furd store. As she sat on 1/1/20, she had a little less than 24k miles on her. She is a 2500HD 4WD Tradesman Crew Cab, 5.7L automatic (ugh). She doesn't have a ton of options, but she does have the chrome package and the usual power options, keyless entry, etc. She does have a backup camera, which is good since parking is a lot like docking a ocean tanker. I have a set of window shades, cab lights, entry guards and a remote start kit at the dealership waiting on "Taxmas".

In the meantime I added a push bar (who knew you could still get a plain push bar for a new truck?) and I have a diamond plate crossover tool box on the way.

A set of Rigid LED SAE fog lights will be going on soon as well. Not in the pic are the white powdercoated shackles to hang on either side of the push bar. She didn't have the factory tow hooks and the push bar mounted with the same bolts so I went with an aftermarket setup that uses shackles instead of the $200 factory hooks that are kind of plain.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Is that push bar available through the dealer. I ended up buying the '15 Powerwagon off the local Ford lot. Salesman didn't know much about the PW package. They were more concerned about trying to get me into a new Ford, than learning anything about the Powerwagon.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, it's from AMI Styling.  I got it through Summit since they had the best price.  It's a bit of a gimmick since the middle bar unlatches and the whole bottom part rotates down to form a step, but it's pretty well made and looks good even if I never use the step.  I just thought it was cool to find an old school style push bar for a new truck and not the full brush guard with the ugly headlamp guards that block half the light.  The push bar is available like mine in white with stainless bars, black with stainless bars or solid white or solid black.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
That 5.7 is an animal.  I've been driivng a 2019 1500 occasionally and its unreal.  That 8 speed tranny and that engine is really fun.  Only thing I dont like is the dial switch for the trans shift and if the door is no latched fully the truck get locks into park. 
Trucks have come so far

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is the 66RFE 6 speed and I still have a column shift and even a manual transfer case shifter. There are advantages to getting a stripped down work truck model, lol. ;D

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Wow I didnt know they still offered column shift.  Lucky SOB

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think 2018 was the last year.  The knob shift nonsense was one of the things that turned me off from the 2019s, but even if I did like the '19s or '20s, the deal I got on this 2018 was too tempting.  Plus, I really like the '18 body more than the new style.  But then the older style took years to grow on me before I like it, so in 5 years I might like the new bodystyle.  But to be honest, I don't think the column shifter is connected to anything anyway.  You can tell when shifting that there are solenoids that are doing everything.  Still better than a weird little knob, but I still wish I had a manual.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Awesome, Lanty!  Interested to see how it grows on you - I don't have anything that new (too much $ for me right now) but not because it wouldn't be nice to drive.  Gonna paint it gray to match the name (and add 4 more wheels)?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was tempted when I was looking at getting a new Gladiator to order one in "Sting-Grey", but it just looks too much like shiny primer. Mine does look sort of grey when it's dirty though. The 8 legs I can't do much about either, lol. I had thought a little about naming it after one of aThor's goats, but their names are longer and won't look as good on a body decal. I identify more with Odin anyway, so Sleipnir it is. I will have a Mjolnir in the back window though along with a Valknut, possibly with Huginn and Muninn.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
238 Posts
jerseybud said:
Wow I didnt know they still offered column shift. Lucky SOB
Wild. My '17 has the knob. It's not bad so far, it sure took some getting used to, although BMWs I rented in Germany had it back in the early 2010s.

I love my 5.7L Hemi, but she is thirsty. The 6.4L is probably a lot worse.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Wow, very nice.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nice Truck El,

You not a fan of the 8 speed? 

Just wondering haven't heard to many people dog on it yet lol. 

I have one in the 19 charger I just bought in the fall and have been pretty impressed with it thus far.  Computer thinking it knows what i want is the probably the worst part.  The computers on this thing will actually try to learn the way you drive, killing mileage and winding things out when you want to drive with sense.  Usually takes it a day of regular driving for it to go back to eco/easy shifting.  Best thing I can advise is put it in sport mode when thinking of doing any type of spirited acceleration. 

Neil

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
J10Mike said:
Wow, very nice.
Thanks. She's not much, but she is comfortable and can tow a lot.

neil4224 said:
Nice Truck El,

You not a fan of the 8 speed?

Just wondering haven't heard to many people dog on it yet lol.

I have one in the 19 charger I just bought in the fall and have been pretty impressed with it thus far. Computer thinking it knows what i want is the probably the worst part. The computers on this thing will actually try to learn the way you drive, killing mileage and winding things out when you want to drive with sense. Usually takes it a day of regular driving for it to go back to eco/easy shifting. Best thing I can advise is put it in sport mode when thinking of doing any type of spirited acceleration.

Neil
Thanks, I don't like any automatics but mine only has the 6 speed. No sport mode either, just a Tow/Haul button. It does get a little weird with the shifting and mine will actually lug the engine a little now and then before downshifting. I've found that all I have to do is let off the gas for a half a second and then get back in it for it to downshift. I still wish it was a 6 speed manual but I am getting used to it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Elwenil said:
Thanks, I don't like any automatics but mine only has the 6 speed. No sport mode either, just a Tow/Haul button. It does get a little weird with the shifting and mine will actually lug the engine a little now and then before downshifting. I've found that all I have to do is let off the gas for a half a second and then get back in it for it to downshift. I still wish it was a 6 speed manual but I am getting used to it.
Amen, I wish I could've got a manual in the Charger. Keeps you honest when driving you know? To many people have there phones all up in their business that they don't look at anything other than that tiny screen. Been looking at trying to find a manual dart 20 teen version of course for a daily, because guess what? You can get them with a manual gearbox.

Hope she works out for you. BTW is that 6 speed still based on the old 727 architecture that makes it easy to service pan and filter wise? Haven't done any in depth research on these new fangled trucks.

Neil

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 6 speed is the 66RFE, which are quite a bit different from the 727 based transmissions. It does still have a replaceable filter in the pan as well as a spin on type filter.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jungle said:
Now that you have a Sweet ride are you going to do anything with the RC?
Jim
Sorry, didn't see this when you posted it. The Ramcharger is still here and gets driven to work once a week at least. Now that I have Sleipnir, I can pull the Ramcharger off the road and start checking off the list of things I have been putting off for years. I am still spending a bit of money on Sleipnir getting him where I want. Getting my cab lights installed today and doing the flash to make them and the remote start kit I installed last weekend. I have my cat-back duals to be installed when I get a warm day to lay under the truck. Still debating graphics and a stripe of some sort.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.