Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 ram charger with a 440 and all time 4WD. I've been wondering if it's possible to swap out the 440 (to go in a 68 barracuda) with a pretty built slant six that I have? Yeah, yeah, I know...Why do you want a slant six right?? well...18 miles per gallon is a whole lot better that 8. Plus this /6 will be plenty torquey enough to push the ram charger up just about whatever I deside to take it up. Arizona is full of great places to explore. I just don't want to go broke doing it. :)
I've never seen a slant 6 4x4 besides the w100. will anything have to be done to the transfercase?

amcguy

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
You'll need a trans for the /6 because the bell housings are different. Your best bet for a trans would be to find one for a /6 that is already 4x4. WHich would be the 727. Then all you need to do is swap tailshafts and adapters and your t-case is ready to go on.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
some 1/2 ton p/u's/rcs did, not very many. I guess what I mean to say is find a 727 ,for some reason I was thinking it would be easier, anyways it doesn't have to be 4x4, for your /6 and then swap tailshafts and adapters.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
you related to Wendy? there is a post farther down where she ask the same thing. i responded there an it pretty much sums it up.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
thats cool! well what did you think? its not a Hard swap. most of the wiring will line up. might need to get a new harness if yours is pretty crappy. overall i dont think it would be that difficult. just long an tedious. for the price you would pay though could you get another vehicle with a slant 6 an just drive that?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I am not positive, but I do not believe ALL slant 4x4's used the 727. I thought there was a T-case for the 904.

Either way, to keep the 727 that is in the RC, you either need to find a slant 727 bellhousing, or find the adapter plate the factory used to mate the LA 727 bellhousing to the slant. These plates are rare, but both the plate and the bellhousings pop up on ebay fairly regularly.

A company called AREngineering is at work on re-producing the adapter plates. They are not yet available, but are supposed to be out by this summer. I have been waiting for the re-production plates for about a year so I can put an A518 OD (46RH) behind the slant...she needs another gear :D

Of course I am biased, but I say go for the swap. When purpose-built, you'd be surprised what a lil' ol' slant is capable of. ;)

-SM

·
Premium Member
7,292 Posts
In a world where displacement is everything, I kinda like unsual swaps. The slant six will definately give up some power to the 440 and should gain you a small improvement in fuel economy, but only because the engine is lighter not simply because it's smaller. Your RC still requires a certain amount of energy to acellerate and propel down the road.

If all things were equal, it wouldn't matter what you burn your gas in, you'll still have a certain demand for energy and you'll burn a similar amount of gas. Of course the six is lighter, and has less moving parts which produce less friction, therefore you should see some savings.

Personally, as I've stated before, I think what would be unique and sweet, is a turbocharged slant six in a Ramcharger. Just to be different.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh trust me, if the /6 would have stayed in the cuda' it would have got two turbo's. I've thought alot about the whole turbo thing to get more power (actually started fab. on a turbo header for it), but thats why the 440 goes in the cuda, and not the /6. I think a gear reduced RC with a 225 would do nice. My four banger cherokee goes everywhere I point it. I use the lack of power to my advantage beleave it or not. you only need soo much. And since when is 10mpg a small improvement in fuel economy?

amcguy

G

·
I doubt you'll see a 10 mpg improvement by going from the 440 to a /6. The /6 will be pushing a much heavier vehicle plus all the extra drag of the front diff gears and the transfer case. You'll probably only get 14-15 with it. Not that much more really, I am getting 11-12 with my 440 in a 75 RC. My nieces husband has a /6 4 speed truck and the best we can get out of it is 15 mpg.

Chris

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
AMCguy said:
I didn't know there were any slant six 4x4's? What trucks had em' with 4 wheel drive?
I know a guy with a W-300 with a slant 6 it; still runs good too.
If you want to use a slant 6, you may want to give it more gear.. I've seen the slant 6's in up to the D-700's granted those were only 2wd.. but with enough gear.. You could climb with a 1.0L..eventually.
Aaron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cowboy, where are you from, my brothers slant 6 barracuda gets 18mpg here in AZ. Maybe it's elevation? I'm at sea level. Ram charger woould get 3.73's with /6.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
AMCguy said:
cowboy, where are you from, my brothers slant 6 barracuda gets 18mpg here in AZ. Maybe it's elevation? I'm at sea level. Ram charger woould get 3.73's with /6.
The mileage is guaranteed to drop when you pull it out of a 3100 lb car and put it in the heavy RC. There are no 3.73's available, your closest choice will be 3.55 or 3.90.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
If you keep it off the highway (or at least do not go over 60 mph on the highway) with 3.55's you can expect between 14 and 16 mpg with the slant, if auto trans. If you have a manual with OD, I'd go with the 3.91's and you could expect bewteen 15-17 mpg.

My '87 2WD D150, when it was bone stock, got 19-20 mpg....that's hauling around its own 2 tons of steel, and 800 pounds of sand in the bed for winter traction, with 2.76 gears and a 3 speed auto.

-SM

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Another thing that will drop that fuel mileage is the fact that the RC is about as aerodynamic as your average garage door.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
MudFlap said:
Another thing that will drop that fuel mileage is the fact that the RC is about as aerodynamic as your average garage door.
i dont know. with enough thrust you could put a fridge in orbit,

;D

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
willy J said:
MudFlap said:
i dont know. with enough thrust you could put a fridge in orbit,

;D
They proved that one with the F-4 Phantom ;D

I used to get 18-20 mpg in my 64 pickup with the slant six, so it is possible. You just can't drive over 60 and expect that kind of mileage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.