Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at going with the skyjacker 8" lift on my 79 rc and i have seen pictures and talked some owners who say it moves the rear end forward in the wheelwell. first question is why, seems most other lifts do just fine without this? second question is any way around this?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Call Rocky Mountain Suspension and talk to the lady there... They are friends of RCC, and really know their stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I've never heard of the rearend moving forward. Do they have the springs in the right way? There is a front and rear to them due to the off center spring bolt. Did they get the right spring? Mistakes happen.

Only dealings I have had with the rearend changing location is with the use of chevy springs.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
From what I hear, theres quite abit of things that need modified for the kit. Theres a few members on here that have gone with the 8" kits

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
It does moves the rear axle forward slightly, but not much. Since the springs are so deeply arched, the axle moves rearward quit a bit as the springs compress. So to maximize fender clearance, the springs are designed to pull the axle forward a little at normal ride height.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Driveshafts, brake lines, steering...

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
There are several things you may need to address. With 8 inches of lift there can be issues with driveshaft length, and operating angles of the U-joints, etc.

In some cases you may need to clock the t-case for less drivetrain angle etc.

Since you live in my neck of the woods, I'd be more than happy to discuss this in further detail and point you to places where you maybe able to get work done on your driveshafts and other parts

Ed

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
Are 208 and 241's clockable? I don't think there is a need to clock the tcase with just an 8" lift. I had 10" suspension lift and didn't do it. I did lower the engine/tranny/tcase and use a cv-less front driveshaft. Never had any problems like that even at full droop, and it was very flexy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts