Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay- I got a single shock damper on my truck (just replaced my beat up duel after doing a bunch of work). I don't think I have any bumpsteer issues because my drag link is now parellel, but my tires are bumpy and push at my steering wheel (kind of feels like bumpsteer, though). My fab guy says another shock wouldn't do anything, but while my new one is still shiny and returnable, I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Should I swap it for a double, or is that wasted $?

Thanks! ;D

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
it's up to you, but I have always run duals on anything over 35" tires....but when I do the ******* rasm mod to mine, they will be going away.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Ok guys - real dumb question :-[ -what does bumpsteer really mean ? I hear this term all the time. I understand about steering problems with lifts and big tires etc, and mostly how to correct them, I just don't really know what this term means.

Thanks
Mark

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Steering changes caused by the change in the drag link angle relative to the ground, which changes the distance between the pitman arm and the steering arm..

If the drag link is at a sharp angle, then when the drivers side tire hits a bump and moves up, the bottom end of the drag link will also move up, and as it does, it will push the pitman arm forward, which causes the pass side tire to turn towards the drivers side tire.

When the drag link is at an angle, the change in the distance (straight line distance) between the pitman arm and the steering arm is much greater when the suspension cycles than it is when the drag link is level. It's this change in linear distance that causes bumpsteer.

Basically, steering changes caused by the suspension cycling vice steering wheel input.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Thanks man - Now I understand. I knew that you have to change pitman arms and stuff when you put in lifts, due to steering problems, but I never knew the mechanics of it.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
mtngoat said:
Okay- I got a single shock damper on my truck (just replaced my beat up duel after doing a bunch of work). I don't think I have any bumpsteer issues because my drag link is now parellel, but my tires are bumpy and push at my steering wheel (kind of feels like bumpsteer, though). My fab guy says another shock wouldn't do anything, but while my new one is still shiny and returnable, I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Should I swap it for a double, or is that wasted $?

Thanks! ;D
So, back to this question. Is it worth putting a damper on a basicly stock truck with 31's, and ps ? seems like it would help with some of the 'sideways' shock load to the front end when banging across rocks and such ?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
His truck is no where near stock. Unless 38's came stock, I would double up just to be on the safe side. It should help.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Sledge said:
His truck is no where near stock. Unless 38's came stock, I would double up just to be on the safe side. It should help.
Sorry Dude, a little misunderstanding - I was asking if it was worth putting a damper on my mostly stock truck....

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Lol I missunderstud yuor post then oops my bad. (now you know how and why I got the nick name Sledge lol) I put a stabilizer on the Trailduster I had 32's on it it didnt make a noticable difference. My current truck will have one before it hits the road again 35's

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Sledge said:
Lol I missunderstud yuor post then oops my bad. (now you know how and why I got the nick name Sledge lol) I put a stabilizer on the Trailduster I had 32's on it it didnt make a noticable difference. My current truck will have one before it hits the road again 35's
Lol - no problem man - I have this trouble all the time - it's called lame posting ! (on my part) But I'm still wondering, even though you didn't notice a differance with 32's, if it didn't help the shock load on the front end, what do you think ?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
um.. it might i put the stabilizer on about 3 months before I rolled that truck. Unfortunatly I only got to go "Wheeling" once after I put it in. The guy in the lead (Toyota) was impressed that my Plymouth made it to the top of the hill. (My girlfriend had to breakit to the idiot that I had my Sentra up to that spot a week earlier) So i dont realy know if it helped with that or not I think it did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts