Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a RCC postal match? We would have to have someone set up distance and firearms classes. also it would be for bragging rights only, so that should minimize cheating. That do ya'll think?

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and for any one who doesn't know a postal match is where you mail in the target to the judge for scoring.

G

·
Sounds good to me. We going to use a specific caliber or what? If so how about a .22, most people seem to have one of those. If not, I'll use my trusty 30.06 ;D

Chris

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
while i have access to a .22 rifle, the 2 i have at home right now are both .30 calibers. so if i had my choice, i would suggest a 30 caliber match.

but if we are going to do this, is there going to be regulations or classes of rifles.
i just cant see the fairness in someone using a standard out fo the box hunting rifle against a custom built target rifle.
even though i have seen some out of the box rifles perform amazingly.

i do like the idea though.

keep us posted.

eric

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
well, we could do two or three classes, how about:

Small Bore Rifle
Large Bore Rifle
Pistol

im not sure where in terms of calibres we'd draw the line, for SBR and LBR, i can;t remember off the top of my head. what do y'all think?

Jake

G

·
Since this would be for RCC members only we could draw the line anywhere we want. I would say anything .30 caliber and bigger would be big bore and smaller would be small bore. We could further split pistol down into semi-auto and wheel guns.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
sounds very good to me. what about an air rifle class? or would we lump them with SBR? who will score the targets?

Jake

G

·
I think that air rifles should be in a class by themselves but it doesn't make any difference to me if we lump them in with SBR. After all, their calibers are .177 and .22 so they are sorta SBR. Since it's Todd's idea maybe he would like to score the targets. One thing though, they would have to be shot on a rifle range so there is no question of how many yards you were shooting, of course that would have to be on the honor system.

Chris

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i believe if i remeber correctly that chris has it right. in most competitions the cutoff between small bore and large bore is .30 caliber.

air rifles i believe would have to be in a category by themselves i think since they are usually shot at 50 feet, and small bore is usually shot at 25-100 yards. wouldnt be fair for me to go out with a .223 and excpect somebody else with a pellet rifle to try and shoot it along side of me at 100 yards.

eric

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yeah, when i was in HS we had a 10 meter air rifle range. the problem with a bunch of categories/classes is that we may have very few people in each category...

Jake

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah let me know i got plenty of targets to mail

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I'm in. Semi-auto handgun and .30 cal. :)
Ted

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Centrefire riffles: Large bore and Small bore sounds like a good idea, At closer range it isn't fair for big bore to have to compete against small. At longer ranges its not fair for a small to have to compete against big. Also might make Magnums in another class since most customs are mag cals.

Also rimfire class is a must, cheapest thing going.

Pistols, I'm not sure about sepatating wheel guns from autos as much as separating barrel lenth. 3 1/2" barrel semi-snubby would never be able to compete with say 8" barrel target gun. Also might separate between big and small bore(I beleive .38/.357 is usually the biggest smallbore for pistols) At any rate a big bore pistol needs more inches of barrel to accheive the same degree of stability. While that wouldn't be that big of a deal in the longer barrels it would be very big deal in the shorties. 3.5" .44s and .45s are about like 2" .38s for accuracy... although the gap closes quickly after you break 4"

Air guns: someone more familiar needs to make the rules

I could judge. But I'll have hell to pay if I win a class or two. You know someone would cry fix.

What distances would everyone like?
For pistols I'm thinking 12.5 yards, 25yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 150 yards would be the pistol ones(the shortest and longest ones would be only with the extremes in barrel lenth) Also for T/C and XP100 owners it won't count for pistol class if its a riffle cal.

Rimfire riffle I'm thinking 50, 100, 200, and 250 would be it

Centrefires could start at 100 yard for the shortest and longest would be 1,000 if anyone dares. I'm not sure how many/which ones to fill in between.

G

·
Todd said:
Centrefire riffles: Large bore and Small bore sounds like a good idea, At closer range it isn't fair for big bore to have to compete against small. At longer ranges its not fair for a small to have to compete against big. Also might make Magnums in another class since most customs are mag cals.

Also rimfire class is a must, cheapest thing going.

Pistols, I'm not sure about sepatating wheel guns from autos as much as separating barrel lenth. 3 1/2" barrel semi-snubby would never be able to compete with say 8" barrel target gun. Also might separate between big and small bore(I beleive .38/.357 is usually the biggest smallbore for pistols) At any rate a big bore pistol needs more inches of barrel to accheive the same degree of stability. While that wouldn't be that big of a deal in the longer barrels it would be very big deal in the shorties. 3.5" .44s and .45s are about like 2" .38s for accuracy... although the gap closes quickly after you break 4"

Air guns: someone more familiar needs to make the rules

I could judge. But I'll have hell to pay if I win a class or two. You know someone would cry fix.

What distances would everyone like?
For pistols I'm thinking 12.5 yards, 25yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 150 yards would be the pistol ones(the shortest and longest ones would be only with the extremes in barrel lenth) Also for T/C and XP100 owners it won't count for pistol class if its a riffle cal.

Rimfire riffle I'm thinking 50, 100, 200, and 250 would be it

Centrefires could start at 100 yard for the shortest and longest would be 1,000 if anyone dares. I'm not sure how many/which ones to fill in between.
I agree with separating the rifle classes into small and large bore centerfire and then rimfire being in a class of it's own.

As far as the pistols go I don't care how the separations go. If someone wants to use a 2" .38 Chiefs special and compete against a 8" .44 Magnum thats their choice, or the .44 against the .45 Auto. I'm thinking this is for fun and bragging rights so I'm not going to be spending megabucks for a puspose built weapon, I'm going to be shooting what I hunt with or use for my everyday shooting.

I have no problem with just one person judging the targets, the people who enter are going to have to trust that the judge is honestly measuring the target as well as the judge trusting that the shooter was honestly shooting at 300 yards instead of 50. We can also have two people judging each target although that will increase how long it takes to post results due to the slowness of the US Mail. Another solution is haveing someone who isn't in the contest measure the targets.

The distances look good to me. I can shoot to 1000 yards at my range but won't be attempting it unless I can borrow my buddies .50 BMG bolt action ;D

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Responding to some of WY cowboy's ideas...

Under 4", 4"- 6", and over 6" could be the barrel lenth classes for pistols.

A judge that is not competing would be a good idea. I don't want to be accussed of fixing it If I win a class or two. But if we can't get a volunteer for that, a competing judge could work. I don't see how a competing judge is anymore dishonest than the fact a judge has no way of knowing if a 300 yard target sent in by a competator was reallly shot from 50 yards.

As far as where your shooting at, a shooting range that is long enough in ones area might be hard to come by. That being said you should measure as many ways and as accurately as possable.
GPS would be the best way. Laser range finders are also rather accureate. Optical range finders aren't too shabby. Pacing it can be pretty good IF its smooth enough. Remember if its too good to be true the judge could always question your target and possably disqual. it.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What distances between 100 and 1,000 yards should we use for centrefires? 100, 200,300, etc.... or 100, 250, 500, 750,1,000?

Also for shorter distances (like 100, 200 or 250) there should be a scoped and open sight class.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts