Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just a dumbass. The speakers I want to install in my front doors have too much tweeter proitrusion by ONE TENTH of an inch. I need to solve this. My first thought is to just file down the factory speaker grilles, or cut out the middle of them. I have full door panels, and am unsure if the new speaker's grilles will fit under it. Any wisdom/ experience?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Take the factory speaker covers off and just put the new ones on. Thats what I did.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Mount the speaker behind the door instead of surface mounting. That should gain you at least 1/4". Be sure to roll your windows down to see if they will clear the speaker magnet first though...

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
Mount the speaker behind the door instead of surface mounting. That should gain you at least 1/4". Be sure to roll your windows down to see if they will clear the speaker magnet first though...
That might work accept that he didn't say what size speakers he had. I have 6x9's mounted in the doors and they wouldn't mount like slanted_mind said because the magnets were too big and hit back of the door.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
What about sticking a nut between the speaker and the grill? If I am following this right, if you are bolting the speaker to the metal door, you should be able to space the door panel out a bit then the grills will screw to the panel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just updated my stock stereo system (reciever and door 6x9's) to a more up-to-date system on my 87' RC. I mounted my new speakers from inside the door panel and had to cut the top half of the water shield off and mount it with the speaker. I had just enough clearance for the magnet from the outer door panel but this will vary with the make/modle of your speaker choice. I used the stock speaker screws with the mounting clips that came with the speakers; placing the mounting brackets behind the speaker and water shield. You might want to think about adding a foam gasket inbetween the speaker and the inside door panel to reduce vibration and rattle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts