Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my '87 to the body shop for long awaited TLC this weekend. Â Most of the major damage has already been fixed...as is evidenced by almost half the truck being in primer. Â But there are still about 18 years worth of road "owies" to be smoothed, and of course, a fresh coat of paint. Â I have called this truck the "Silver Bullet" since my old man gave it to me when I was 14, so I finally decided it would be a crime to re-paint it any other color. Â That, and silver hides blemishes and dirt so well. ;D Â I am having everything but the tail lights and door handles/key locks shaved. Â No decals, no marker lights.

I took a slough of "before" pictures, here are a couple. Â

I will be posting back with pics of the progress, and of course, the final product. ;D

-Aaron aka "SM"

·
Registered
810 Posts
That's great! It's good to see you are taking care of that sweet truck. Please post some "after" pictures when it is done.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
looks pretty good in the before pictures. i like how you did the exhaust close together in the back. also i got my sill plates and wanted to tell you if you haven't recived yours yet that they are really nice.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blacktruck---you got that right! This has been 8 years in the making. Of course, it is fun to drive as it is... ;D

Grayguy--trust me, I know how you feel. I have been wanting to get body/paint work done for 8 years now. I finally have enough stashed away to get 'r done.

Moparman-- will definitely be posting after pictures. A whole slew of them. ;D

jimbo--haven't received my sill plates yet, but I remember when they had pictures of them on their website, and they looked very good in quality. Can't wait to see how they look on fresh paint....

To all-- here are a couple more pictures that show the blemishes better.

The passenger front fender is junk. By tapping on it it sounds like there is more bondo there than metal. I have a new Mopar fender from the dealer for that panel.

Passenger door needs some TLC, as well as the driver door. They at least can be saved. The passenger door has some wavey 'crinkle' dents, while the driver door has a fairly serious crease with some stretching....

Driver bed panel I had replaced several years ago from a J/Y bed...which is why it is in primer.

The driver's lower cab corner is the real bad spot left on the truck. It is folded, stretched, creased, crinkled....you name it the problem is there. I am unsure whether my body guy will cut it out and weld in a new corner, or work with what is there. I have seen his work, and he can do amazing things with even the paper-thin sheet metal on newer vehicles, so we'll see. Should have some prgress pics by the end of the week. :)

-SM

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
cant wait to see after pics

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
the angles of the first pics i couldn't even tell there was primer. the sill plates are awesome. the only problem i had was that the previous owner of my truck put down rubber instead of carpet and left the padding in, so i had to fix floorpans all weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally have a few progress pics. :)

I can't believe my body guy was able to save the driver cab corner. It was folded, wrinkled, torn, etc. And he was still able to pull most of it back out, and smooth it with very minimal body filler.

He has the driver's side mostly done. Supposed to be getting the passenger side done this week, then he has to decide what he will do about my tailgate (it has a few 'wowies'). May be in primer by the end of the month. :)

More to come. ;D

-Aaron

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's getting there. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Wow man....I'm not much for 2wd's but damn...i want one now. Project 2wd when I get my 4x4 done!!! Very nice looking ride, i bet its a blast to drive

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ram1985Custom said:
Very nice looking ride, i bet its a blast to drive
Thanks, it is very fun to drive. My DD is a 2000 4x4, but that truck seem to not have much of a personality. The '87 on the other hand, sometimes has a mind of its own. ;D It is slowly becoming the street cruiser I have wanted since my old man gave the truck to me when I was 14....guess it has only taken 11 years... ::)

-SM

·
Registered
810 Posts
SM, it must be tough for you guys up there to work on stuff when it is so damn cold outside. I can't begin to imagine what 30° below zero must feel like. It has been pretty warm down here lately, so much that I even had to turn on the air conditioner when I was fooling around in the garage last night.
So don't feel bad about it taking 11 years. It takes as long as it takes.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the garage IS heated. ;D

Went and checked in on it last night. After cleaning, the hood and bed are ready for primer. We were tipping a few back & BSing so I forgot to take a picture of the hood ::) But I did manage to get one of the bed, passenger side:

It also now appears the passenger door is worse off than I thought, but should still be fixable. :-\

Slowly but surely...

-SM

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Looking good man!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slowly but surely getting there. I never knew the factory silver could look so good. ;D

Cowl:

Hood:

Bed:

The Cab and fenders still need some body work. Hope to have it back by April. :)

-SM

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
lookin good SM, thats one shiny silver coat she be wearing ;D

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.