Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey RCC!

I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.

I am re-wiring my 75 TD. The front turn signals have me chasing my tail a little bit.

The driver's side wires are YEL and BRN, the passenger side are GRN and BRN.
Vertebrate Bag Handwriting Font Lock
Yellow Handwriting Creative arts Font Fashion accessory

I can trace the YEL and GRN back to the bulkhead connector, so I am assuming they are the wires that bring POWER to the signals/marker lights. Is this correct?
Electrical wiring Wood Wire Electronic device Electrical supply

Does that leave the BRN to be ground wires for both?

This gets a bit confusing, so I apologize.
Some previous owner has the brown wire spliced into a wire that comes from a different bulkhead connector.
It is below, colored with red. It shares a hole with the wire colored with blue. That blue colored wire runs to the rear brake lights. So, I am assuming that is also a POWER wire.
Wood Electrical wiring Circuit component Plastic Sweetness

Does that mean the BRN wires are running lights (powered only when the headlights are on) and the YEL/GRN only bring power (flashing) when the turn signal lever is activated? Or, do I have this completely ass backwards?

How are the turn signal connectors grounded?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
61,045 Posts
On the 70's trucks, the ground is through the light housing. IIRC, the brown is the tail lights, and the yellow and green, are the left and right turn/ brake lights.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the 70's trucks, the ground is through the light housing. IIRC, the brown is the tail lights, and the yellow and green, are the left and right turn/ brake lights.
Brown is tail lights? But, these are the connectors for the front turn signals.

So, the POWER goes to the front turn signals through the YEL/GRN, then exits through the BRN, which meets the brake wire going to the rear harness, in the connector below?

·
Administrator
61,045 Posts
Ok, I missed that this is the front. The housings that face forward, ground through the housing. each wire gives power to its filament, and grounds thought the housing.

The side ones get power through what ever is on, and ground through the other wire.

With the tail/ marker lights on, the power comes in the brown wire, and grounds through the yellow or green, and grounds inside the turn signal. The light will light.

With the tail/ marker lights on, when the turn signal flashes on, both sides of the bulb will have 12 volts, so the light will go out. (with the marker lights on, you will see the side turn signal flash opposite of the front turn signal).

With the tail lights off, when the turn signal flashes on, the power will come in the green/ yellow wire, and ground through the tail / marker light switch. (In this case, the side and front lights will flash at the same time.

Do not use a LED light in the side marker light housings, most do not work, or get wonkey.

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I missed that this is the front. The housings that face forward, ground through the housing. each wire gives power to its filament, and grounds thought the housing.

The side ones get power through what ever is on, and ground through the other wire.

With the tail/ marker lights on, the power comes in the brown wire, and grounds through the yellow or green, and grounds inside the turn signal. The light will light.

With the tail/ marker lights on, when the turn signal flashes on, both sides of the bulb will have 12 volts, so the light will go out. (with the marker lights on, you will see the side turn signal flash opposite of the front turn signal).

With the tail lights off, when the turn signal flashes on, the power will come in the green/ yellow wire, and ground through the tail / marker light switch. (In this case, the side and front lights will flash at the same time.

Do not use a LED light in the side marker light housings, most do not work, or get wonkey.
Ok, great response. Thank you SuperBurban.

I think I'm following the path(s) you explained.
And, if I'm reading it right, my wiring is correct.

The brown and the rear tail light wire IS supposed to be tied together in the bulkhead connector.
Like it shows...

·
Registered
30,113 Posts
BROWN is always the "running" lights = MARKERS

Reactions: jonn6464

·
Administrator
61,045 Posts
Tail, running, marker, same circuit, just a different name.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tail, running, marker, same circuit, just a different name.
Yes, I would refer to the lights on the side of the fender and the rear quarter panel (if available) as "marker lights". The tail lights and front turn signal lights, I would call "running lights". But, yeah, all the same circuit, only on when the headlight knob is pulled.

·
Administrator
61,045 Posts
Yes, the lights that come on with one step pull of the headlight switch, are all the same, call them what you want, tail, marker, running, parking.

In big truck terms they are different, and may be on different circuits, but even most newer big trucks have consolidated them all on the same circuit.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
On my 67 Chrysler 300 the front marker lights would come on when the headlight switch was pulled out to the first step (park lights), but they would go back off when the switch was pulled out all the way for headlights. This was the way that particular year of headlight switch was designed & I suspect other manufacturers may have been the same.

Bucky

·
Administrator
61,045 Posts
You go through the years, models, and makes, there is many different light configurations. Then some export cars also work different then the same model made for domestic use. The factory switch has the pins for things like headlight doors, and what not. But aftermarket ones may not.

Vans have the ability to turn the inside lights off, so opening the doors, or leaving them open do not leave the inside lights on. a simple circuit, but they did not do it for trucks.

·
Registered
30,113 Posts
On my 67 Chrysler 300 the front marker lights would come on when the headlight switch was pulled out to the first step (park lights), but they would go back off when the switch was pulled out all the way for headlights. This was the way that particular year of headlight switch was designed & I suspect other manufacturers may have been the same.

Bucky

All passenger vehicles made after January 1, 1970 must have front and rear side marker lights as well as reflectors per Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). 2 amber reflectors and marker lights that remain lighted while the headlights are on , one on each side as far to the front as practicable at least 15 inches from the ground and no more than 60 inches from the ground. 2 red reflectors and marker lights, one on each side as far to the rear as practicable at least 15 inches from the ground and no more than 60 inches from the ground. All reflectors and marker lights must be a minimum of 4 square inches.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
^^^Yep. This began I believe with reflectors only in 68, then lights/reflectors . Seems like trucks may have lagged behind cars a season on getting the lights.

A light & reflector can be incorporated together into the same housing.

Bucky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts