Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone be so kind as to measure where this style mirror should be, on the passenger and driver side if they are not the same. Measurement from the forward edge and from the top or body line would be great. My '79 TD has had several types of mirrors in its history.  I found these at a swap meet for $15 a pair, they turned out to be for a van, so I'll have to deal with a different shape on the mounting surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
both sides are same. Tape measures 8 1/2" from the center of the base to front of door. The top of the base is just below the body line that is in picture. Yea, I got some of those van ones too thinking they were the same. I can't recall the exact differences but I know the mounting holes were different. I think the van base might have been larger...can't recall.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flyfish said:
both sides are same. Tape measures 8 1/2" from the center of the base to front of door. The top of the base is just below the body line that is in picture. Yea, I got some of those van ones too thinking they were the same. I can't recall the exact differences but I know the mounting holes were different. I think the van base might have been larger...can't recall.
Thanks flyfish, that's exactly what I needed to know. {cool}
Hey, for the price, these van mirrors will be perfect. The bottoms are shaped to fit a concave surface, so they rock up and down on the TD. I might make a thick gasket out of UHMW at work. I had thought about sanding the base to the shape of the door, but that would cut the chrome off the mounting surface speeding up rust. Oh yeah, I'll have to make an inner plate for inside the door.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
glad to help. yea you sure can't beat that price. Gasket is a good idea if it takes up the space well. I was about to ask you about the inner plate but like you said easily made. I don't think I noticed at the time there was a different curvature because as soon as I saw the holes were different I just grabbed my other one and put it on there. I think I have 4-5 of them but at least 2 of them are van and the others are probably all from the same side :) 

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, this will get them in the factory location. This TD will never be a show piece, but it's fun to put it back right. 

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Mojck, sorry, but I just checked again and the passenger side mirror is 8 3/4" using the same measure in the pic of the drivers side. Small difference but just to correct myself in case it makes difference. Driver is still 8 1/2.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flyfish said:
Mojck, sorry, but I just checked again and the passenger side mirror is 8 3/4" using the same measure in the pic of the drivers side. Small difference but just to correct myself in case it makes difference. Driver is still 8 1/2.
Thanks flyfish, I have seen some vehicles with a different placement to help with the line of sight for the driver. Looks like this is one of them. {cool} {cool}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.