Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm about to start a new project. I am doing a big block swap into a 1985 dodge ramcharger and was wondering if I should run a shroud around the cooling fan? I'm running an all new aluminum radiator either a 2 or 3 core. I want this to be something I can drive most everyday in Wisconsin. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes, run a shroud whenever physically possible. This will pull air through the radiator, rather than around it, providing better cooling and more consistent temperatures. Additionally, there is the safety factor as well, as a shrouded fan is safer (even if just marginally) than a 15# blade spinning at a 600-800 RPM :)

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
you may have to do your own mounting , so one the fits the fan diameter and close to the radiator size , 1980 to -1991 would have the truck mounted tank , 1992-3 would have a tank attached to the shroud , note which way your overflow tube points , and go from there .. a junk yard , hedge row etc ... or pick a year/type and post in classifieds here ...

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
Shroud makes a major difference. Definitely worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Slow speed - offroading and such - without a shroud you will mostly likely have overheating issues. I had that problem when I body-lifted a Chevy and the shroud didn't fit anymore. (350/4spd manual truck).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Junkyard definitely, and the ones around here where I am I usually talk to the owner.                                                     
                  I get a lot more for my dollar than talking to the counter help. outrageously more.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you can't find a plastic one for reasonable money, just move straight to a weld shop.  Cut up some cardboard and build a shroud shape that will work and take it to a sheetmetal shop if you aren't worried about weight, and an aluminum capable weld shop if you are.  Sheetmetal will definitely come in under a 100 bucks.  Aluminum will be more but you pay for HP.  :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.