Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new 2 this site and im 15,my dad bout a 79 rc about 3 or 4 years ago and hes basicly gave it 2 me.its a 360 4 barlle carb full tim 4x4.it costs 20 $$$ 2 get 2 town from were i live witch is about 30 mins or so away from town.im seriously concidering putin it on propane and puting hubs in it insted of full time.should i put it on propnae,is it worth the money like pwer and torque wise???

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
In general, propane tends to be a cheaper type of fuel. The down side of propane is, it's not as powerful as gas. This means you may consume slightly more fuel to do the same amount of work. But it's probably not that big of a deal if your savings in $$$ is much more money then what is lost in power.

Propane has other advantages to gas. It's a cleaner burning fuel, with far less contaminants being deposited into the engine and oil. An engine equipped with propane doesn't suffer the problems of a carb or has the complexity of fuel injection. You can still modify the engine for greater power with propane, and if you want, you can power a barbeque
;D

Ed

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You need much more compression just to equal the power that motor makes now on gas for use with propane.

You need to use up room for the tanks.

I use nowhere near what that rc uses for a 30 minute trip in stop and go side street use, do some tuning.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have no experience with propane but $1 per minute seems pretty expensive. Then again, how much does gas cost in BC? I think I'm getting 10-14 miles per gallon, and here in FL gas is about $2/gallon, so I could drive a couple hours on $30.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I think gas is about a $1 something a litre in Canda which would make $4-5 a gallon. Thats why it cost $20 to go 30 minutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i was in town today and the lowest i seen was 95.9 cents a liter.im not so concernded about horse power cuz i dont wanna bburn the rubber off my 32's,just beein 16 and ownin a gas guzler and havin 2 fork out your wallet wen u dont have much money dosnt thrill me.how much do these propane kits run about,$2000??

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
The factory propane engines didn't have any higher compression. They just burn a bit more fuel. I just put a factory propane 318 in my plow truck, ( switched it to gas ) and the insides are like new.

Being in BC, depending how far north you are, you may have cold weather starting issues. Propane engines don't start too well below zero degrees. That's why the propane push died out up here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts