Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
Like the side pipes and the hood. Nice rig.
Eric

·
Registered
570 Posts
Very nice, love the stepside trucks.

Neil

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Nice! Is that a fiberglass hood or were the scoops added?

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,165 Posts
Ya that's a cool looking truck. Very nostalgic 👍

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,165 Posts
Someone should do a Shaker hood on their truck. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice truck!
To answer a couple questions here
The hood is steel. I cut the outer skin off a damaged 70 challenger hood and the center skin off the factory truck hood and welded them together.
Jim as for the engine. I have a replacement 440 to put back in the truck as the block crank and rod , cam were all destroyed when a rod came apart. I used stock rods that had the beams polished and shot peened and arp bolts. All balanced. I suspect it was under or about a 600 horse engine. 1 rod cap came apart next to the still intact arp bolt and came up and broke through the block and snapped cam into 3 pieces. Camshaft piece pushed up through the intake valley pan.
I should have used manley rods or something other than worked LYs. I got a decade of hard use from the engine. I would pull and inspect the bearings once a year during the winter and keep my eyes and ears on the valve train. As for the new engine I will salvage what I can from the original build. Parts like the Weiand tunnel ram. The carbs I will swap to vacuum secondaries this go around 3310 750s. I dont really like vacuum sec carbs much but I am trying to soften the punch from the last build. I think I will still use a solid lifter cam but likely nothing over 550 lift or 300 duration. Worked iron heads, springs and adjustable rockers can likely be checked and reused. The milodon parts can all be reused also.. I want to keep the hp down to around 500 or a little better as I am not sure how the drive shafts can handle all the extra weight of a 4x4. This is the first time I will be moving this much mass with a 440 so I am trying to be moderate in my approach and see if it all stays glued together. Big blocks are efficient at breaking even strong parts.
I will get into the engine and chassis build again after I find a front axle and 205 transfercase. I have a slim to possible lead to follow up on tomorrow. Hoping for good news.

·
Registered
332 Posts
She’s sweet. Dig the hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts