Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a hi-torque mini starter on their older truck? I know that they will fit through the 90's, but I wanted to know what brands have been used, and which are good.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have a mini start out of a dakota (mopar part) on my 84'. They work way better than the old heavy starters, they're liter and turn faster and don't draw as much power. You go to a JY and probably pick one up cheap.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I've got one on my 84 RC. Autozone carries them for about $70, but they have a lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
The truck has the mini mini starter as does 1 car the other has the mini and so does the jeep, but the jeep came with it's mini

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Evildriver_3 said:
The truck has the mini mini starter as does 1 car the other has the mini and so does the jeep, but the jeep came with it's mini
Anyone else confused ???

Anyway I have a Mcleod Mini on the 440, works great

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
not a clue what he said. as for the starters, I replaced one in a dakota, and I have to say, their about half the weight of the old ones. when I do change the crapped out one in my truck, I'll probably get the newer design.

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
Dodge makes 2 mini starters 1 small and 1 really small all for the v-8's if you buy the 2001 starter it is the real small 1 look in mopar performance there should be pictures of them i think there called lightweight starters in the MP book

the Truck has the really small starter so does the GT, the other has the 1st version small and the jeep came with it factory

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Do the mini starters eliminate having to pull the header on that side to replace the starter? Im goin by what my son told me about the 76 440 when he put them nasty Hedmans on there. IF SO, it would be worth the price of admission right thar...
Tony

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
Yeah they can fit between the block and headers on most applications depending on what car and tube size without removing header on some on the trucks i don't think you would run into that problem

·
Registered
509 Posts
I put a late model mitsu/dodge starter on my '87 and apparently you need to shim it for proper engagement cause mine shit the bed at 6 months. It was a good starter, much lighter and cranked faster compared to the stock junk i put back in there....oh well lifetime warranty on the stock.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slampig said:
I put a late model mitsu/dodge starter on my '87 and apparently you need to shim it for proper engagement cause mine shit the bed at 6 months.
I bought one and put it in this morning. It appeared to bolt up fine. How do I know if it needs to be shimmed?

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
That's hard, because you don't know what it's "supposed to sound like", because you didn't have a mini before ?

Extra whiney, or grinding, or howling,... slow spinning,.... the only reason to shim one would be to assure that the teeth fully engage the starter ring. I guess you could do a tooth print check, just like a set up check on a rear end... light layer of white grease on the teeth, install, spin once, pull out and read the imprint in the grease....

But that'd probably be a waste of time, especially if it appears to work OK.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a 1995 Ram starter on my 82 W-150, it works great and I got it for $35 at the junkyard. I got tired of replacing those junky ones from Adavance every 6 months. I also got the small starter in hopes on having more room for my shortie headers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts