Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope some one can help me i have a 80 ramcharger 4x4 and shifted into park at a crawl and truck jerked a little put back in drive went to gas station everything fine shifted to park went in got gas then went to shift back into drive and it wouldn't go past reverse so in stuck at park and reverse taped on shifter arm on side of trans and got it to go forward all the way to where 1 should be and it went into drive took it home no problem shifting pulled into driveway put it all back down where park is and im back to it stuck between park and reverse again

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would check your linkage on your transfer case make sure you are not in neutral do you have the full time unit?  Sounds like it may be worn.  30+ years and you have found your issue.

If that is fine check linkage at side of trans with truck not running ;D.  Jack it up and see where your are at with it running.  Better yet have someone keep their foot on the brake while shifting with and without the truck running and see what happens underneath.  Sounds like if the transfer case linkage isn't out of alignment then you may have an adjustment issue on the side of your trans with the linkage to the column. 

Neil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its all time 4x4 linkages seem fine got clearance nothing looks bent been daily driver till this no problems it seems like something is binding the shift lever on the side of trans from moving any farther than reverse if i tap it with hammer it will go further but dosent click into drive till the lever is all the way forward where 1st should be could that lever be striped or did i break something inside of the transmission  when i put it into park while it was barely rolling jarring the trans

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yikes , stop hammering ! park so this is an automatic ? BLOCK your wheels , take the linkage OFF at the arm on  the trans , that arm should move with your fingers , IF it does NOT , the problem is IN the transmission . There is another 1/2 circle arm inside , it has a spring loaded detent ball and notches that ball goes into ( the clicks ) if it does not click , that inside 1/2 circle often comes loose from its shaft ( its peened on there ) the ball drops out, the spring jambs into the 1/2 circle's notches ... pull the pan , remove the external arm remove the shaft and 1/2 circle , find the ball ( ontop of valve body?) re-peen the circle onto shaft , install new seal while yer there, reassemble .... refill in neutral motor running .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok i have disconnected the linkage from the lever on trans grabed lever with my hand will only click once forward into reverse then wont move any further into neutral drive etc. Just clicks between park and reverse if i push hard it will go further forward but no clicking thru gears just stiff resistance i pull it back to park and it clicks back into park but still just only will click into reverse then park again

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Probably a jammed parking rod.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with above post about the parking rod.  The same thing happened to my old charger and that is what it was.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe that the park rod and paul are in the adapter that mounts the transfer case to the transmission.  I would suggest pulling the pan (you’ll have to anyway) and see where it is binding.  It might be that the lever that indexes with the valve in the valve body has come loose.  I’ll have to look at the one I have in the shop but IIRC if the small snap ring comes off where the kick down lever attaches it will allow the lever to drop out of the valve.

If not then it could be the paul in the adapter has come loose or broken and bound the park rod.  I’ll look at the one I have in the shop tomorrow and snap some pictures if you don’t figure it out by then.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Goreo, this is more than likely what has happened.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yup pull the pan , and the valve body , you'll see the rod .

·
Registered
232 Posts
Haven’t seen that one before!  I’m not 100% sure but I believe they are the same.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Should be the same rod on most, if not all, 727 transmissions.  904 will be different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.