Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody makes a shift for a 90 RC with a 360. I don't know what transmission I have, I tried to find out, but it seems that Dodge used several during that time period. If I'm wrong can somone point me in the right direction to find out what kind of transmission I have?

Also if anybody has installed a Shift Kit how did it work and is it worth the $$$.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes, depending on which automatic you have. In '90 they used 3. A518 which is the auto with O/D and no lockup convertor. Of course the 727, basic 3 speed some of which had a lockup convertor and the A500 which is an O/D trans with a lockup convertor. If you have the 500 or 518 like I do, then TransGo makes an excellent shift kit that I've had in my trans for 50k+ miles. Just pulled it out to rebuild it at 145k and it was still working fine, just restoring the entire drive line.

The TransGo, according to my mechanic, helped the trans last as long as it has. It firms up the shifts which cuts down on heat and wear as well as greatly improves the lubrication and cooling to the O/D unit. As a bonus, it also lets you check the trans fluid level in park as opposed to neutral.

I've always used TransGo kits and have always had good luck with them and have always been impressed with the tire squealing shifts they produce, depending on the level of installation and the particular application.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. That TransGo kit, is that something I can buy at a transmission shop or do I need to order it from say a place like Summit or another company? My RC is auto, but how do I find out if it has the A500 or A518.

And how much does one of those shift kits cost?

·
Registered
561 Posts
These kits can be bought from TransGo on-line. Most folks prefer to go with Summit. They still handle TransGo products, not sure about Jegs. Price will be in the $80-$90 range.

There's a couple ways to determine which trans you've got. The A500 has (2) elec. connections and the A518 has only (1). The (2) connection on the "A500" is for the lock-up convertor.

The best way to determine which trans you've got, is to record the numbers that are stamped on the left side of the case, (Driver's side), just above the oil pan gasket surface.

Any competent trans shop or your local dealer can tell you for sure, which one you've got. This will ensure you order and install the one that is designed to work with the one in your truck.

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Colossus_Ram said:
My RC is auto, but how do I find out if it has the A500 or A518.
Is your truck 2WD or 4WD. 4WD's have the 518.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 4wd. How much in the cost of labor would I be looking at to have it installed. I've heard that auto trannys are expensive to work on and I don't even have the basic knowledge to know how to do it.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Most places will charge you for 2 hours labor, about $120, plus fluids. The transgo kit comes with a new gasket and everything needed, including DETAILED instructions and lots of pictures.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I'm seemed that with the B&M shift kit I bought for my 85, that the kit was almost "universal" for the chrysler trannys 904,727,518. I know my instructions had things for the 518 in there and it came with some extra springs and stuff for the 518. But if you're competent with a drill and maybe a grinder(I needed one), you can do it yourself in about an hour and a half if you take your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts