Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay shes a 98 ram 1500 w/ a 360 and shes making a whistleing noise i think its the injectors whats wrong? i need help

MG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
if the noise is coming from under the hood it could be a number of things. injectors could be one, but id look into things that might not be so costly to fix. is the serpentine belt in good condition or does it look cracked and worn? are the exhaust manifolds tight? if not from under the hood check the fuel pump. i think that on newer EFI engines dodge combined the fuel pump, filter, and sending unit all inside the gas tank, so that will be a bear to replace if thats what it is. maybe try some injector cleaner? or good a good old carb engine.....
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,317 Posts
injectors make a ticking sound.when do you hear the whistle sound?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,508 Posts
Some times the sound of the computer module has been known to make a whining noise, but whistling is something I'd be looking for a vacuum leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hears the thing the nut for my gas tank is cracked really bad so my SES light is on could that be the reason its doing it? and shes lost alot of power.

MG
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,995 Posts
Mopar_gal said:
hears the thing the nut for my gas tank is cracked really bad so my SES light is on could that be the reason its doing it? and shes lost alot of power.

MG
Need to have the computer scanned for error codes. Some of the auto parts stores like autozone will scan for free. Can you explain a little further what you mean by the "nut"? The whistle sounds like a vacuum leak.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
29,447 Posts
Have you checked the codes?
I believe on an 98 that you should be able to cycle the igniton on and off 3 times (ending in the on position), then read the numbers at the odometer (if you have a digital odometer).
If this works on your truck, post the codes and I can look it my book to see what they say.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
Another vote for whistleing = vacuum leak. Is the air box clamped on the throttle body squarely? It is very easy to get it cocked to one side or the other (I curse the engineer that designed those things...and the way they clamp onto the throttle body). The gasket at this location could also be bad.

-SM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,489 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
Another vote for whistleing = vacuum leak. Is the air box clamped on the throttle body squarely? It is very easy to get it cocked to one side or the other (I curse the engineer that designed those things...and the way they clamp onto the throttle body). The gasket at this location could also be bad.

-SM
If the inlet has come loose that would also be your los of power. I think the mass airflow sensor is right outside the air box and if its not getting all the air passed it all the computer setings go out the window
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is something that just started yesterday night. and the nut im talking about is the big nut where your sending unit is on your tank

MG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KThaxton said:
Have you checked the codes?
I believe on an 98 that you should be able to cycle the igniton on and off 3 times (ending in the on position), then read the numbers at the odometer (if you have a digital odometer).
If this works on your truck, post the codes and I can look it my book to see what they say.
Thanks ill do that and get back to you

MG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,489 Posts
I hate fuel injection I know just enough to gett it serious trouble
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top