Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Felt like around 24-26 ga. I think the metal I was using for patches on mine was 22ga.; but I couldn't say positively on the OEM ga.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ramit84 said:
probibly one of those imes it would be handy to have a micrometer
Between paint, rust, or undercoating.. I doubt it would be that accurate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well when I do my rear quaters I have some rot on the inner walls as well... Mil supply don't make those parts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ramit84 said:
well when I do my rear quaters I have some rot on the inner walls as well... Mil supply don't make those parts
Here's a B4 & after shots of one of my quarters.. This was just a quickie patch job.. but I still plan to finish touching them up.
Before

and an after shot

This my first attemp at posting pics on here.. So hopefully they come up.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
OK.. I figured out what I was doing..
Here's the B4

and the after

Hope they help
Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the parts you it looks like you are showing are commercially availiable, it is the inner walls that I have issues with. thank you anyway though dude

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The inner wall is a straight shot down to the bottom seam. Just trim out a simple panel with about a 1" flange at the top of it.. and gradually trim it to match the edges. If you want to, you can allow yourself a small overlap to pop rivit or weld the pieces together where they meet. I did mine as a single piece.. and instead of an actual seam at the bottom.. The metal's just bent back up to the top. Both the inner & outer panel were rotted pretty bad when I started; and I didn't want to try and deal with 2 panels, or with just patching the outer and leavign the rusted out inner to let all the crap back into it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Unless you were trying to fab an identical panel for a restoration; all you need to do is be fairly close.. I don't mean to sound like I'm raggin on you.. but just use a little common sense on the thickness and you'll be fine.. Heavier is better.. but also a bigger pain in the A$$ to work with. For your location.. I'd say to use 20ga preferrably galvanized.. That way you shouldn't have to worry about it rusting again. Since the metal won't be very user friendly.. You may want to experiment with making a pattern with a piece of cardboard first.. and just have the metal cut out somewhere. Be sure to seal the seams real good if you're not having them welded.. for that matter.. I'd go over them pretty thoroughly even if they were welded in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts