Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law pointed out to me that my leaf spring shakle is mounted towrds the front hes says the guy who owned it be for me tried to get extra lift that way. Is he right about it being mounted in wrong!!

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Front or rear? Does it have a shackle flip? Got a pic?

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I take it this is the front leaf spring shackle. Do you mean that it is pointed towards the front tires? If that's the case the previous owner might have had the front springs rearched and they overarched them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but my brother in law says its mounted wrong that th guy took it from the rear of the springs and put it on the front of the springs

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Assuming that you don't have a shackle flip, you can't just "change the shackle angle". The only way to do that would be to re-arch the springs, install shorter springs, or move the shackle bucket mount.

On the other hand, if your shackle is only angled forward a little, it sounds like you might just have springs that aren't wore out, of it has an add-a-leaf in it. I shouldn't hurt any thing.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
slayer666 said:
but my brother in law says its mounted wrong that th guy took it from the rear of the springs and put it on the front of the springs
Huh? Have you got a picture?

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
OK, not a great pic, but this is how it should look, this pic is of a basically stock Ramcharger rear suspension. It does have an add-a-leaf here, so the springs are arched a little more than stock.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok this picture tells me what i need to do i cant think of the name but were the back of the spring is attached to the shackle there that extension on my rc its in the front hanging dowm

·
Registered
23 Posts
THATS NOT RIGHT

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
?? Almost sounds likea shackle reversal. But why? Does it have shackles on BOTH ends?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what the guy did that i got it from was he took the shackle from the rear back spring mount and put it in the front of the back rear spring mount to try to get lift from it but my brother inlaw thinks it is unsafe and that i should out it back to the way it was befor but then ill lose lift that way

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
So the rear of the spring is solidly mounted?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes and front has that shackle haging down so the leaf springs can flattin out

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
hmm, I dunno?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts