Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had ever used shackles to get 3 inches out of the leaf springs on a '90 ramcharger?I was going to use 3 inch blocks in the front and shackles in the rear,but new u-bolts won;t work on the passenger side front because of the pumpkin so i was going to try shackles on the front too??

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You would be better off with extended sprinh hangers than just longer shackles.An in manny states blocke on the front axles are ilegial(not to mention verry dangerious) .Look in the parts link above in the gray bar for the digrams for the hangers.

But the way welcome to the site chaek out the chapters area and introduce yourself.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
instead of using blocks, might consider trying this method as well as extended shackles in the front

this way you lose alot of the danger from the blocks, just remeber to use grade 8 hardware, i also welded mine in place

eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
i would never use blocks in the front.................but about the u-bolt problem...on the passenger side by the pumkin, those are studs and the come out.........u can get longer ones but they are hard too come by........i think i have some laying around or at least know where i got them..............hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
You don't need to replace them with studs. Just use grade 8 9/16ths bolts. Make sure they are long enough to completely seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
no..........there are studs in the differential housing on the passenger side.........one side has a u-bolt and one has studs sticking into the housing.............look carefully.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
monstermopar said:
no..........there are studs in the differential housing on the passenger side.........one side has a u-bolt and one has studs sticking into the housing.............look carefully.
I know there are studs on the passenger side. Just take them out and replace them with 9/16ths coarse thread grade 8 bolts. You can double nut them, use vise grips, a stud remover or some other means to get them out.

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts