Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife says she likes the 33's and wants some on her 99 burb (2wd)...and so I start to think. I currently have the Rough Country 4" lift kit (springs all around), and was thinking I would like bigger tires too. So if I put my 33's on her rims, and get bigger tires (not sure yet...35 - 38's considered) I know I have some major work ahead.
-For lift, I believe I will add the RCC Shackle flip...giving me another 3 or 4". If I just did the rear hanger of the rear spring , will it be 4" or do I need the front hanger of the rear spring also? I ask because only doing the rear should help with pinion angle.
-To help pinion angle, I want to drop the transfer case (NP208)...but I am unsure of how far I can go (is 3" to far?)
- How badly does that affect my front shaft? Wouldn't too much shim up front mess with the camber? Or hell, would I definately need new shafts? If so, could I cut my rear down and use it for the front and get a new one in back?
-And I would need to re-gear to 4.1's (running 3.23's now). What is involved there. Do I need to change out the carrier (saw a couple of diff posts...some saying yes and no) or will rings and pinions cover it (Dana 44 up front...corp 9.5 in back)
I know it is a lot of info, but I am getting the go ahead...so I need to go before the light turns red. This is a daily driver (somewhat...ride my bike a good bit) that likes to wonder into swamps and mud. I would like 38's in the end, but I think I migth have to scale down a bit...but bigger is better.
Thanks for any info or opinions.
Tim

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
1-2 " t-case drop is plenty there . REad the How to on the gear swap . AS for a gear size 3:90 - 4:30 ratio would be about ideal for 35" tires and up . Also the carrier will dpend if it need tore down if u swap gears which u will cuz the ring gear has to come off of the carrier . AS well as the carrier bearings . All this will need done if u add locker for sure .

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
If you go higher than the current 4 inches you will run into problems with the front driveshaft. And a t-case drop won't help the front.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know dropping the transfer case hurts the front angle, but what is the best solution. Will double u-joints make it work, or will a new driveshaft be the need?
I think first I am going to tackle the gearing issue, I am running 33's now and have 3.23...which I believe is too short. I want to go with 4.11's, but need to know if I have to change the carrier or will the spacer thing with all thebolts work okay (for a d44 up front). In the back (corp 9.25) I will use a posi or locker, so I shouldn't need to do anything with the carrier, right? I would like a locker, but this will be my daily driver about 50% of the time. What is the most economical posi that works good run? Gearing alone with a carrier for the dana is upwards of 300 for the d44...and I haven't figured out back aft yet.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
419 Posts
actually if you drop the crossmember then you are essentially dropping the tcase and it will help the front drive shaft angle and i was told not to drop the crossmember more then 2" as far as the shakle flip i would like to know the answer to that my self and where can i get the kits at for the shakle flip?

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can also grab a pair of spring hangars from a bone-yard ($25??) to do the shackle flip. Get the pair that mount the Front end of your Rear springs :\'(, you will have to grind your old rear hangers off and drill a couple of extra holes but it is pretty easy. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.