Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the Twister are planning a scouting expedition this weekend over in the backside of the Superstitions. We'll be east of the Queen Valley area and going up the trail towards Superior. I can't tell you much more about where we'll go because I don't know - it is a recon for a possible chapter outing later.

If anybody is interested in coming with, let's meet at the Florence Junction turn-off at 0900 Saturday AM. We are planning to RON (camp) Sat nite and come back Sunday morning, but there's no need to stay up there if you don't want to. The trail should be fine for stock vehicles, but that's another thing we're going to find out.

I'll have the grill ;D

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH! Now that was seriously mean. El Fuego (his final name) has been field tested, and is better than a furnace.

Go ahead and bring your pbj, though, it seals tires pretty good I hear!

;D ;D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'd be interested in going. Give Big Yellow a run. I'll see how work goes and let you guys know before Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, you're not looking so good. You don't want to infect your co-workers do you?? ;D

1 PM would be pretty tough to make up, I think.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'll see if I can talk the old man into going with. That'll be a nice change than going to the parts yards and crawing under over and around vehicles all day. Hell, maybe we'll get a little rain and make it a little more interisting.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds fun, but unfortunately (again) I'll have to pass. There has to be another way to make a living without working, it's constantly getting in the way of my play time. ;D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hey Mo, since it's you that's asking...absolutely not, no way, no how, uh-uhh, no, no, no, no, NO!!!! :p

Of course your friend (and his Chevy) is welcome. No brand bashing in this group. Besides, this really isn't a formal gathering of the clan...and even if it was, I don't know that we would ever make it so another brand owner couldn't attend. I don't think that's what the Arizona gang is all about.

Wassa matta, you don't trust GP to spot ya?!? ;D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, I've got to work Saturday night so I'll have to pass. Hopefully next day-off bid I can swing Sat Sun Mon off. Anyway have fun and be safe

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well guys, it seems that my dad already made plans for me to help him set the valve lash on his 97 Ram diesel. So i'm going to have to pass up on this one :( But if I have time later, or even on Sunday, I was going to check out another posibility. The trail is called "The Morgan City drywash". It's up by lake Pleasant. I'll take the camera and take some photos and get back with ya on what I think.

·
Registered
423 Posts
well, I waited as long as I could to see if I could make this before responding, but I gotta work. Too much vacation & not enough working lately...cowboy up! I'd like to see some photos though!

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so for whoever is going, let's meet at Florence Junction at 0900. We'll leave there at 0930 and head up into the hills.

I'll lead out, as I have some areas I know of and want to scout. We're planning to scout for a while, eat lunch, scout some more, and then set up camp. Whoever else comes doesn't have to camp - it's close enough to town you can head back in if you want.

Then Sunday AM we'll head back down.

Lessee, there's a Texaco station in Florence JCT, isn't there? Let's meet there.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Wellllll, we named a ledge after Mohammad! ;D

It was a great time, awesome weather, and even better company!

GP will be forthcoming with many details...and pics!

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well a very sucessful outing was had. The group consisted of us in the Ramus, and Mohammad in the Cummins 4x4.

After a wait for Mo to show up at the Texaco station, we departed for the area. A detailed map will come in a future post. We turned north on Queen Valley road, and the took the Hewitt Station dirt turn off a couple miles up. About 5 miles down this road, past the windmill oin the left, we took the Rogers Trough trailhead turnoff to the left. This is where the fun started.

Before I get into the pictures and descriptions, let me say that this was a symbolic trip for me. Not even Twister knows the my history with this area as a kid. When my family went camping, this was pretty much where we went. I had not visited this area on my terms, as a camper, since I was probably 10 or 12 years old. So this was a reunion, sort of for me. Does that make sense? Probably not...

Anyway, in the intervening years, the Forest Service and the ranchers in the area have created an improved road up there. This road is easily accessible, most of the way, even with a car. The old road used to be in the wash. We turned off partway down, and joined the old road.

Since they don't maintain the old road anymore, it washes out and exposes rocks. This is the first obstacle we encountered. I look goofy because I'm slamming the door to the Ramus with my hip, plus I'm goofy.

Keep in mind, this is easily bypassed by simply staying on the newer road.

Here, Mohammad takes possily the most difficult line through the rock. He wanted a challenge I guess. The Cummins just walked over it. Any stock 4x4 or high-clearance 2x4 could easily navigate this.

Here's where it got interesting. These are the shots Mohammad doesn't want you to see ;D A combination of a distracted driver and a crumbly dirt bank almost caused the Cummins to roll about 800 feet nearly straight down the cliff.
These photos do not show the extreme angle of the cliff or the predicaiment of the truck as was the case. I figured the day was over here, and we'd be lucky to get the Cummins off the ledge at all.
See those two guys with the Toyota? They were amazed and freaked out. We named this Mohammad's Ledge.

This doesn't look so bad, does it? Well, if I were standing in that hole, I wouldn't be able to touch the tire. That right front is the only tire still touching the ground.

The left rear is hanging into space, and the right rear is off the ground because the truck is sitting on the rear pumpkin.

Well, there's nothing for it but to hook up the mighty Ramus and give it a tug. The Toyota guys offered to hook on too, till I mentioned that if the Cummins rolled off the cliff, it would likely drag me with it. Upon hearing that, they withdrew their offer and retired to take pictures. But the mighty one amazingly dragged that heavy diesel right up with no wheelspin. Super Duty 0, Cummins 0, Ramus 2! ;D ;D

Encouraged by our mastery of the elements, we pressed on .

We encountered a Jeep group that had come in from a side trail while we were recovering Mohammad. This is a shot up the hill as we are stopped because one of the Jeeps is stuck. The Toy guys are ahead of us now. I don't know why the Jeep got stuck. A 2wd could make this terrain.

Come to find out, they were a bunch of folks from New Jersey (!) out on a Jeep tour.

This is where we stopped and had lunch. The Jeep people (now behind us) came up and just surrounded us in this little site. They asked if we were ok. We said yes. They took pictures and left.

A nice vista. We're at about 4000 feet elevation here.

Our campsite for the evening. This area could easily hold 50 or more people, but we had it all to ourselves. In fact, after the Toy and Jeep people left, we only saw one other vehicle. Nobody camped up here at all.

We had a big full moon, and it was nice and cool due to the elevation. We got a fire going, fired up El Fuego and cooked some burgs, and sat back and enjoyed a nice quiet outdoors evening. I really wished more of our chapter members had been there to enjoy it. Next time!

Did some hunting and bagged a Peanut. Not really. Me and Mo did some plinking and each declared ourselves the better marksman.

Another vista on the way back down this morning.

The Ramus on the rocks.

And at the end, there was this. I don't know what it is. A Blair Teddy Project thing, I guess.

Anyway, this would make a nice easy overnight chapter outing. A stock 4x4 or high-clearance 2x4 could make the whole way. There are side challenges available to those who want a little more. The camping area is great, clean, and plenty of shade and trees. It's not very far to go.

Using AZRC's posted trail rating guide, I think the road up to Mohammad's ledge is a 1.5, with it being a 2.0 thereafter. Some places in the old road (wash) areas may reach 3.0 to 3.5, but his is easily bypassed if needed by simply staying on the new road, which parallels the old road.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
The poor teddy!!!!!! :eek: :-[

Did you save him GP, did you save him??

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, Teddy was done for. All that white stuff on the ground was his vital, er, stuffing.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Mohammad said:
Wait ED3, I know, it was that NewJooosie accent of the Jeepers that drove me over the edge. :p
Lol i find that hard to believe, how could you here that over that running cummins

·
Super Moderator
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mohammad said:
Hmmm, I guess I've got to research this further, to tell you the truth the Jeepers were a good 5 miles off at the time, but when we saw them I did notice a girl who didn't look all too happy, perhaps she was singing (what were those mythological greek singing chicks ((signals?))that made a guy steer their ship askew) in NewJerseyish and only I heard it? ???
I think you mean Sirens. Anyway, I'm impressed you got that close. And to think your teachers said all you did was look at the pictures.

Oh, the Superdootie?

On the Camino Del Diablo.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
sounds like you all had a BLAST...perhaps I should have brought the minivan ? LMAO
Keep up the wheelin...{smoke}

1 - 20 of 22 Posts