Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sending unit has been reading a 1/4 tank off, so i spent all day dropping the tank, getting new hoses, clamps, seals, and a sending unit (a mopar replacement direct from dodge). i pulled out the old sending unit and found the culprit...gas in the float! i decided to go ahead with the install of the replacement unit. i put 8 gallons in the re-installed gas tank and.....TAH DAH! the sum bitch reads friggin empty. i have never been more pissed with a failed project on the truck. my question now is why? why would a perfectly good factory replacement read even worse than a 27 year old factory sending unit? i checked the ground wire, its good, i made triple sure the wires went to the right posts on the unit...what else could it be? i am truly at a loss.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i have gotten a couple of bad parts from the dealer. it happens. quality control is nothing like it was back in the day our trucks were built. i dont know if its possible but what about replacing the float the old one???

·
7,995 Posts
Take the power wire off the sender and ground it for a little bit while someone watches the fuel gauge....it should move up to the full line and get back to us. Did you check the new sending unit to make sure it moved smoothly before you installed it in the tank?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i checked the sending unit before installation and it moved fine which is the reason that im so baffeled. i will have to try that trick with the power line. is that just to get it moving so it will start reading correctly?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
no its to test the guage itsself to make sure you dont have a faulty guage. it has been known to happen..

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all right, i did the test and the gauge works fine. i dropped the tank again, took the sending unit out, tested it and it reads perfectly...when its not in the tank. i re-installed the sending unit and the tank filled it up and it reads a half tank below full. what the f*&% is goin on here?!

·
7,995 Posts
Sounds like you are gonna have to adjust the float arm. Have you taken the truck out for a drive or tried rapping on the bottom of the gas tank.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how can i adjust the float arm? it has two pegs at empty and full so it wont go over.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chump said:
Sounds like you are gonna have to adjust the float arm. Have you taken the truck out for a drive or tried rapping on the bottom of the gas tank.
thank you once again chump. i pounded on the bottom of the tank and checked the connections. fired 'er up and she works like a charm!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
When the float is all the way up and touching the top peg it should read 12 ohms. when the float is all the way down (indicating an empty condition) and touching the bottom peg it should read 78 ohms. This is for my 86, I don't know how much differece it should be for yours. It could be the same or all together different. I have replace two factory "up-graded" pick-up/senders and have had all kinds of problems with them. They are just not made right anymore. Good luck with yours.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
and the only place to get a new float ONLY is ford. take the old one in, and it's like 6 bucks for a new one.

The local dodge dealer told me to go there to get it cuz dodge don't carry it anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts