Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy an 89 360 TBI but the smog pump is seized (no belt on it). It runs fine now but I'm wondering if it will pass emissions here in Memphis (not nearly as strict as Cali).

If it won't pass, how much should I expect it to cost to get it to work again.

Also, I'm hoping that someone has a diagram of all of the vaccum lines and where they are supposed to go. I'm not sure if any vaccum lines are is missing. My Haynes isn't very clear and I only have a FSM for an 82.

Gonzo

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got a reconditioned one from Advance Auto Parts for like 40 or 60 bucks I think. And there's like a $5 core.

The guy at the shop said that's cheaper then he can get them.

As far as passing emissions...

The previous owner told me the truck passed even without the smog pump working. I had to replace it though because when you buy a car in MD you have to get it state inspected before you can register it and to do so, all emissions equipment has to be hooked up.

-Dan

·
7,995 Posts
SortaRican said:
I want to buy an 89 360 TBI but the smog pump is seized (no belt on it). It runs fine now but I'm wondering if it will pass emissions here in Memphis (not nearly as strict as Cali).

If it won't pass, how much should I expect it to cost to get it to work again.

Also, I'm hoping that someone has a diagram of all of the vaccum lines and where they are supposed to go. I'm not sure if any vaccum lines are is missing. My Haynes isn't very clear and I only have a FSM for an 82.

Gonzo

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is "upstream & downstream air" coming off of the air pump? Where do those lines go?

If I run this without the pump hooked up, are there any hoses, lines, or vaccum ports that need to be plugged or bypassed?

Gonzo

·
Registered
364 Posts
disassemble, remove vanes, reassemble, block lines internally. Looks good for inspection.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Downstream must go to the cat and the upstream would be the back of the exhaust manifolds. My 87 does not have the downstream since it does not have the 3 way cat. If you are worried about visual inspection replace the pump since it sounds like the rest of the system works and run thru inspection then disconnect the belt if you feel that it will seize up again. The Cat. Convertor is supposed to work better with the pump since it feeds oxygen and allows converts the hydrocarbons into less harmful byproducts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts