Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use them or know alot about them?

Girlfriends truck was stolen a while back and last night all of our cars were searched by thieves.  I guess the whole neighborhood was worked over last night.  Its getting all too common and we cant moove out till next summer. They even took the original owners manual and window sticker out of the prospector. Who wants that kinda stuff?

I was thinking about using my old laptop gateway p4 1.somthing GHz w/ 1g ram and hooking a camera up to it to monitor the driveway at night. Wont prevent anything, but if its a local neighborhood punk, they can be dealt with. Or if its a stranger, i will have somthing to hand the cops.

At first i was thinking maby a webcam hidden in the soffit, but from 20' away, i doubt a webcam would have enough resolution to discern a person from bigfoot. I want to be able to zoom it to the driveway so i can make out a face. Also, the computer has around 100g of drive space available. Will that record good resolution from 11pm to 6am?

I tried a few google searches but got mostly commercial security companies trying to sell their own product/service.  Id like to put somthing together with a $100 budget.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think this is what you need.

You can keep an eye out and take someone out...On Camera!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
You can do the webcam thing and there are programs out there that do the motion sensing thing but like you said, even with a high end webcam you can't really see any details.  I have a webcam pointed out my front window so I can see when someone pulls in my driveway.  I rarely have it pulled up though but it's nice just to look if I hear someone pull up.  What I would consider is one of the security cam starter kits like TigerDirect sells that you can use with most PCs.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
A friend has a two camera (b&w) wireless system (one at front door and one at back) hooked to his TV.  My guess was more then $100. but probably not much more.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
personally I use q sea (not sure how to spell it) cameras they are made for security and can be hooked to any tv and some can hook to computers. I paid $30 for each of mine and the pic is clear even up to about 50 feet. I got mine at fry's. also remember security cameras are made for just that and most include night vision web cams would more then likely end up either black screened or to fuzzy making them useless unless you installed then in the cars them self.

here is a set of two cameras with a receiver for $99 cameras have night vision good for up to 22'.
http://www.frys.com/product/5859823?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

fry's list quit a few security cameras just go to their home page and search for security cameras.

Hope this helps.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I use a rear view camera in my truck that came from Harbor Freight.  It's really a security camera with night vision.  It was relatively cheap but I don't remember the price.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
My dad assembled a security camera system for the garage using ebay.  Got roughly 8 cameras so far, plus the pci cards, and i don't think he paid more than $200 combined  :eek:

They do work, i know the one camera is aimed up the driveway, i can see cars driving by (at least 400' away from the camera)

The computer has a old 60gb hard drive, and we've left it record for 3 days straight, and still had space left  ;)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
As the others said, you can buy a complete system for pretty cheap now, I saw a system at Costco with four cameras and, um, I don't remember how much but it wasn't that expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Something to consider,

How about a game camera?  Hunters around here use them all the time to see what is moving around the water tanks.  They can be set up anywhere, are battery operated, some are night capable without using a flash.  They can be set up to take several shots in rapid sequence once motion is detected or even take short films.

Of course if you use one with a flash chances are dbag thief will be looking at the flash when the shutter fires!  Gives away the position though. 

A real good camera can be had for around 100.00

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
http://www.ledset.com/camwiz/

i downloaded a free trial version,liked is so much i bought the program.
i found a couple webcams for 30.00 and planted them in 2 different windows,whoever comes into yard will be caught on video.will also send video to an e-mail addy.

any cam can be converted to night vision,by taking out some filter and adding a IR emitter,like from TV remotes.

the everyday webcam will catch an interior light going on and create an audible alarm on the computer at night.

i used a 5.00 wal-mart camera to try the program.
it will run up to 4 cams,like 2 daytime and 2 night vision.

i tried a game camera,unless its walking slowly it wont capture much. 40 foot range at best and the unit itself attracts attention to itself whenever activated in the dark.also a battery hog,would need a power supply.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about a game camera, but all the ones ive seen would be impossible to conceal. After looking at a few things, i think i want a video capture card with hardware compression to MPEG4 those are in the $30 range and can take any common inputs.  I found a different gable vent for the front of the garage that has larger vent slots that i can hide a camera behind. I can put that on the home improvement budget. So $70 for a camera that will have good night vision at 15 feet or so.

I like the idea of a flash. I could take the motion sensor off a set of security lights and a relay triggered by the 110 from the light socket. Then figure out how to triggger the flash on a disposable camera from that. The flash might get a thiefs attension to look in the direction of the camera, but would it make the camera adjust and miss its oportunity? Maby a verry soft beep would be enough to get someone to look up and wonder WTF.

I also thought about a regular security camera out in plain sight to deter any thieves, but that could make the neighbors uncomftorble where its pointed and is vulnerable to vandalism. Honestly, id much rather have a picture for the crazy mexicans across the street. They dont call the cops ;) Theres even a couple old timers in the neighborhood watch that prefer to solve their own problems.

Tomorrow im gonna go to a few electronics stores to see if any of them have models hooked up so i can see what kinda picture quality they make. I dont have any high hopes on finding that, but  i still want to check before buying online based on reviews and specs.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My dad got everything from fry's electronics.  He got two infrared cameras and a recorder with a 500GB hard drive.  Good cameras will go about $100, and a recording unit can go for about 200-300.  Cheaper if you get a unit to go into your computer.  The only down side with ones that go into the computer, is you'll have to keep the computer on all the time.  You can set the units up to come on with motion, or at certain times.  The one my dad got, I have it set up that it won't record someone on the street, but if they get close to the vehicles, it'll start recording.  It's best if you can find a place that has a few on display so you can see exactly what it's capable of.  I, myself, would rather buy something locally rather than off the web.  What if you have a problem?  If you buy it off the web, you'll have the pay the shipping to send it back.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Duffy said:
My dad got everything from fry's electronics. He got two infrared cameras and a recorder with a 500GB hard drive. Good cameras will go about $100, and a recording unit can go for about 200-300. Cheaper if you get a unit to go into your computer. The only down side with ones that go into the computer, is you'll have to keep the computer on all the time. You can set the units up to come on with motion, or at certain times. The one my dad got, I have it set up that it won't record someone on the street, but if they get close to the vehicles, it'll start recording. It's best if you can find a place that has a few on display so you can see exactly what it's capable of. I, myself, would rather buy something locally rather than off the web. What if you have a problem? If you buy it off the web, you'll have the pay the shipping to send it back.
I prefer to buy locally too and i really do want to see some in action and get a feel for features and performance. We dont have any Frys around here. I dont really care about leaving the computer on all the time. It will only record while im sleeping and i can keep the external drive hooked up and double the machine as a media server durring the day. I can figure somthing out to justify the electricity leach.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The mine is a GREAT idea.  Except it will shred our trucks when it goes off.  And my doggie is too curious about stuff to have somthing like that around.  And a 250m danger zone?  I thought mines only had a real danger range of somthing like 30 yards.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Danger means there is a slight chance of injury at those distances. May not be severe injury, but possible. Like every thing in the military, the risks are probably overstated.

I probably would NOT want to be standing in 150m distance, it's likely going to hurt lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts