Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The teeth are busted on the spider gears in my front diff. no problem, except I can't seem to get the diff. pinion shaft out to remove the gears. Don't see a retaining bolt anywhere, what is the secret to removing the pin other than a BFH!

Also while it is out, any opinions on what should be replace it. Current considerations are another set of open gears. Already on hand. (Thanks Mopar65pa) or something like the lockrite automatic locker. or would it be worth having somebody else put in a LS or true locker?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
depends on how much trail use it sees.. If you like to run it offroad quite a bit,, I would say anything but open spiders, If you want to get the best of both worlds.. I'd recommend something like an ARB air locker, or an Ox lock( a cable operated locker) ; a limited slip would be most appropriate if it sees both daily driver and good trail use.
Just my $.02 though.
Aaron

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Ribcracker said:
The teeth are busted on the spider gears in my front diff. no problem, except I can't seem to get the diff. pinion shaft out to remove the gears. Don't see a retaining bolt anywhere, what is the secret to removing the pin other than a BFH!

Also while it is out, any opinions on what should be replace it. Current considerations are another set of open gears. Already on hand. (Thanks Mopar65pa) or something like the lockrite automatic locker. or would it be worth having somebody else put in a LS or true locker?
this may sound stupid, but did you remove the yoke? if so, then if carrier is out of the way it should come out, may have to smack it a time or 2 wit hahmmer, just make sure not to mess up threads if oyu plan on reusing this gear

eric

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you have manual hubs, just leave the carrier in and Lincoln Lock it! no changing gears, no pulling anything out!

·
Registered
48 Posts
As for removing the pin, there is no retaining bolt, instead in its place is a pin that has to be driven out. I personally do not know of a way to do this without removing the carrier from the axle.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok got the retaining pin moved out of the way. The nail i had used to check for the pin had been to small previously. but now as stated the ring gear is in the way of the pin holding the spider gears. looks like i will end up taking it to a professional to deal with the rest of the hassle. Would I have to reset the gears if I remove the carrier, or could I grind down the offending teeth just enough to slip the pin out. Any other suggestions.
either way doesn't look like lock rite is a very good deal for a d44. for the same amount of work you can have a selectable locker.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you remove the carier, you dom't have to reset the gears unless you somehow mess up the shims behind the carrier bearings. Shouldn't have to take the bearings off. Just make sure you clock the ring gear the same when you put it back on. The Lock Rite, can be installed without re setting the gears, as it just replaces the spider gears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts