Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, looking at getting another convertible since my LeBaron died.  Been having a tough time to find a LeBaron with a decent top since they were all vinyl.  So, I'm looking at Sebring convertibles.  One that has caught my eye is a 1997 JXi with a black canvas top.  Only 105k miles.  Has the 2.5l V6.  How worthwhile are these?  As I understand it, the 2.5 is  Mitsubishi engine?  Any problem areas to look for?

Attachments

·
7,250 Posts
Can't speak to the Sebring itself but a friend in Casper has a car with that engine. He hasn't had any problems with it.

Chris

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of fuel mileage would one get?  I could get 27-30 in my LeBaron depending on how much right foot I used.

·
7,250 Posts
Rich's wife got about that

Chris

G

·
We had a 2000 limited. My wife loved that car it would get mid 30's on the road and high 20's in town. We never had any problems with it. the 2.5 was decent on power and handled pretty good. There was very little cowl shake with the top the down and the glass rear window with defroster was an added bonus.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Good friend of mine had one - he liked it but he said nearly always had wind noise/leaks.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I had a 98 Sebring Convertible and I loved it (for the most part) until it was stolen.  Got good gas mileage, very roomy, great trunk space for trips.  The only real complaints were that the battery was very hard to get to (you had to take out a bunch of stuff just to get to it) and the well where the top was stored when down would hold water when it rained (every time you stopped you heard water moving).  Nathan fixed that by drilling a couple holes down in the bottom to drain it.  I really miss my convertible.  The only thing I didn't like was that it was black (I will never own a black vehicle again - too hard to keep clean).

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I only get calls for brakes & oil filters on Sebrings....so I take that as a good sign.  ;D

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
my dad has an 01 or 02 sebring convertable.  its an ok car he seems to like it.  it is hard to start though I still need to get in there and figure out why.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
atowinram said:
I only get calls for brakes & oil filters on Sebrings....so I take that as a good sign. ;D
Dodges very rarely show up in the Garage (Fords and Imports keep me in business :p )

Every time a Sebring was here at the shop, it was Basic Maintence...oh and one that needed the Blower Motor Resistor replaced.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
My wife's Sebring is an '05 so it doesn't really fit into this same situation, but I can say that the 2.7L V6 motor in her car has topped over 110K just a few weeks ago and is doing so without so much as a wimper.  It gets near 30 on the hwy and around 20 in town.  She uses it for work which explains the mileage but this little car has kept on rolling with not issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My mom had one...  :-\  It was an interesting car to drive, with the electric shift transmission.  Also got goo mileage and had a decent stereo system.  Other than a whistle on the highway from worn gaskets.  She lost two transmissions in 3 months  :'( and they claimed to have replaced the first one with a "new" one  :mad:  needless to say she doesn't have it anymore, and is quite happy driving the LSC

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.  Gonna get this one instead.  It's a 2000 and has a 6 disk in dash cd changer.  Overall its cleaner than the other one I posted (and no tear on the driver's seat) and has the same miles on it for the same price. 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Sebring convertibles are good cars all around.  We never really had much trouble out of them at the dealership.  They are one of the few cars produced that were designed as a convertible, meaning it's not a coupe that's had the top cut off and there is no coupe version of the car.  There is only the convertible and since it was designed as a convertible from the ground up, it doesn't have all the creaking and flexing issues that the old Lebaron convertibles had.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Different car.  Both of the Sebring hardtops are made by Diamond Star Motors (Mitsubishi).  The Sebring convertible is made by Chrysler.  This is why the 3 Sebring cars do not look anything alike.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
I have an 07 sebring 4 door sedan, it was made by chrysler.  The early convertables were seperate from the hard tops, but now the front ends are the same. And the engine options are the same.  The 2 door sports car sebring almost looks like it was mercedes built.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I'm not for sure on the '07s.  It seems Chrysler did make the later generations which is directly contradictory to what the factory rep told us at the dealership but those guys rarely knew their ass from a hole in the ground anyway so I'm not that surprised.  The model that CJohnny is looking at, there is no coupe or sedan version of.  There is a car labeled as a Sebring, but it is a different body and chassis.  I don't know if the later models are built on a  common platform or if thy just have similar sheetmetal and fascias as the info on the Internet is conflicting.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elwenil said:
I'm not for sure on the '07s. It seems Chrysler did make the later generations which is directly contradictory to what the factory rep told us at the dealership but those guys rarely knew their ass from a hole in the ground anyway so I'm not that surprised. The model that CJohnny is looking at, there is no coupe or sedan version of. There is a car labeled as a Sebring, but it is a different body and chassis. I don't know if the later models are built on a common platform or if thy just have similar sheetmetal and fascias as the info on the Internet is conflicting.
I think for the 1996 - 2000 run you are correct. Maybe even the 2001-2005 run as well. The Sebring Convertible and Sebring Coupe were 2 different animals with the Sebring coupe being the 'updated' version of the 90's Avenger made by Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
690 Posts
any thing with over head cams in a v6 I'd run.... unless every 100K you replace the timing belt water pump and new tentsinor set. Putting that long timing belt on car is stupid to start with...  It is like $250 in parts and $400-500 to have them installed, and unless you work on a motors for living Do not try it home.

i have seen belt stretch after 100K and take out every valve in the motor.
water pumps go bad motor gets a little hot warping the head and you got a set of junk heads... they are zero clearance to start with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts