Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1977 Plymouth Trail Duster Sport.

???Well, I am looking to put a set of shoulder seat belts in my TD to replace the mostly worthless lap belts :\'(. I am having trouble finding a set. My questions are these:

1.   Does anybody out there have a set that would work?
2.   Is this going to be a b**ch to swap :mad:?
There is a stud in the top where the shoulder part goes. Do I need to drill this out or is there a nut on the back? Can I use an aftermarket set like those from JC Whitney?

Has anybody made this conversion? If so please tell me about it.
Any and all help is appreciated. The safety of my family is very important to me.
Thank you.

I also am looking for a rear seat, anybody got a spare???

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You want to install a factory type shoulder belt or a race style harness? i would go with the race style harness this way when you roll over you don't go anywhere

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
You want to install a factory type shoulder belt or a race style harness? i would go with the race style harness this way when you roll over you don't go anywhere
Interesting point. I think I am interested in both. Whats the difference as far as ease of install and cost??? What exactly do I need for a race style set-up and have you done this???

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody?????

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The 3 point factory type belts would be easiest. All the tops that I have seen have threaded holes that you can attach shoulder belts into. It sounds like yours has studs in them? Try turning them out and bolting on some 3 point belts. I am using the early style clip on shoulder belts so I can still take my top off and keep my lap belts.
william

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 1978 Ramcharger and it has a set of shoulder strap belts in it. They work great and I was looking at them and they are out of a Nissan. Someone put these in before I had it. They are bolted right in to the factory locations and are comfortable and work really nicely. They don't match the interior but that does not matter to me. They are just a faded grey, the interior is the dark tan SE interior. I have a set of brand new shoulder belts that I orderred for a 1980 Trailduster and have never used. These were over $100. They are black. Would you be interested in them? I can find out where I got them. They have a web site, but I can't remember the name at the moment. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You bet kybishop! I really want to get this little project underway and done. I hate not feeling safe in my beloved TD. The icey roads around here can be pretty tricky. Thank you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Okay. Here is what I have. I found the seat belts, still in the box, new and never used. I have the receipt and it looks like they were $65 each set, a total of $142 including shipping is what I gave for them. I got them from 'The Andover Companies' and here is the site address to the belts I got. http://www.andoauto.com/retrofit.htm These are just like the ones I have but mine are black. I told them what vehicle I had, an 80 Trailduster, and these are the ones they sent. I did not try to install and I don't know how good of a fit they are. They are supposed to bolt in to the factory locations at three points. If you are interested, let me know, as they are just sitting in my basement, either waiting for me to put them in something or for someone to give them a good home. Does $100, shipping and all sound fair to you? This includes all the bolts and washers and mounting hardware. They are not factory originals, but a retrofit three point set as described.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Also, the factory locations in your truck are threaded and these should bolt right in. This is if someone has not messed with these factory locations. They do not need to be drilled or anything. Also, I think I have some shoulder belts that came out of one of my dads Dodge M880's. I don't know if most of the millitary Dodges came with shoulder belts. I did not use these because there was something different about the way they bolted in at the bottom, I can not remember exactly what this was. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The race belts are similar in installation as the factory belts, but they don't go to the roof they go to the floor so when your top is off you are still held in, they have the shoulder belts go to the floor behind the seat and the 3 lap belts go to each side and front, you would only have to drill 3 holes as you would use the original hole on the lap belt on the 1 side of the seat that is already there and add the other 3 holes and a plate similar to what the original style is using (a wider piece of steel) under the floor and your done, it is a real easy install, price on them all vary from $40 to $200 i don't put a price on safety but you can get a real nice quick release design for like $100, and if you don't want to use the shoulder part you can leave it off and run with the lap belts, look up simpson safety products and summit racing

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great information! Thank you all for your help. I do have one more question on this topic. How do you get the factory lap belt retractor out? I can't get to it from underneath. Do I need to cut the cover off and unbolt it from the top?

Thanks kybishop, I am going to try to get a set of tan ones first, if not I may just take you up on that offer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It will unbolt from the top. The ones I have removed, I was able to pry the plastic cap off as it was a two piece, snapped together. It could be you would have to cut it, since you are not going to reuse them. They should unbolt from the top though once you remove the cap. Save the bolts! Good luck and look in the local junk yards. Some of the older Dodges had shoulder straps and the newer Ramchargers did. And the nissan belts work great in my 78 Ramcharger. I have the factory roll bar and was eventually going to weld a tab and bolt the upper belt to the roll bar so I could remove the top and still have shoulder belts. I have kids and I need to find some shoulder belts for the rear myself. Have to fabricate a roll cage to attach the shoulder strap to. They use the lap belts for now but it is not my main vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.