Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how difficult it is to hook up and use. i would
really like to save some money on getting pics on here.
instead of putting them on cd's. i have a few old pics of old
vehicles i would like to post. just can't find negatives.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
They are easy to use. Get one with a USB interface. That should be the easiest and most trouble free.

·
Administrator
26,854 Posts
Actually, I have seen alot of computers that suck when using their USB ports. For some reason some things just don't work with them. Like my Dad's computer. He can't run his cable modem via USB, but he can his scanner. Another friend can't run his scanner with USB, but can via serial port just fine. I had USB probs on my computer too, so I don't use it at all now. Normally if it has USB, it can also connect via serial.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
not to mention that it depends on the OS, e.g. WinNT doesn't have USB support...

anyway, to get back to the question: scanners are fairly easy to use, but, like with every new toy, you need to play around a little to get the results the way you want them ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
If your O/S is Win98, WinME, WInXP, or Win2000 getting a scanner that connects via USB will be the best and fastest. If your O/S is Win95 or WinNT, your best bet is a scanner that connect via the parallel port. The later versions of Win95 will support USB ports, but not that great.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Or you can spend the big bucks and go SCSI; It's sooo fast... ;D

Keep in mind too that there are multiple hardware versions of USB floating around out there. Generally, if your motherboard (or USB card) and USB device was manufactured in 2000 or later, you should have no problems. Older USB devices and boards have known bugs; way too many to list here. If you're having problems with USB like Sam described, I'd suggest buying a cheap $20 USB PCI card, and disabling your motherboard's ports in BIOS. I've fixed more systems this way then I care to remember.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
mopar4x said:
Or you can spend the big bucks and go SCSI; It's sooo fast... ;D
Thats what I got. ;)

G

·
I've got an HP scanner hooked up but since I bought my digital camera I hardly use it anymore. Have you considered a digital?

·
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm just looking at the cost factor. i have a very good camera
i bought a couple years ago. i was having pic cd's made but
at $14-20 a pop i figure a scanner would be best in long run

G

·
Cost is always a factor with me too. My digital is a cheap one (about 150.00) but i'm looking to upgrade it. I also have a cd burner and make my own picture cds to send to relatives. I bought my burner at OfficeMax for about $100 and the cd-r's aren't too expensive at Sam's. If you're spending 14-20 bucks a pop for your pic cds it wouldn't take long to pay for a burner. They aren't hard to install either. I did mine in about 30 minutes.Give it some thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts