Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was undecided about wether to post this here or in the Vehicle Help section.

My rear springs desperately need to be replaced, but I'm uncertain about the proper way to do this. I just had my rear springs rearched in Oct, but I guess it was just a temporary fix. I've heard that if you get your springs rearched they should be as good as new, but I was also told that it depends on who is doing it and if they know what they're doing and the overall condition of the springs.

Right now I have my factory springs in the rear with the lift block. I keep hearing that it is good to just get rid of the block because of axle wrap and just go with the springs. My concern is towing and/or haughling. With most rear springs it is my understanding that they don't recommend towing, but I still want to be able to tow. Does anybody know how I can get rid of the block and still keep my ability to tow. What companies offer the best springs? (Skyjacker, Superlift, Rancho, etc...) Right now I have a 4 inch Skyjacker susp lift.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
1st Yes if the springs are shot they won't hold the arch, it all depends on the spring man if he realizes it as he is rearching the spring, it is a feel and how quickly the spring takes the new arch that tells you if the spring is going to hold it or not, he obviuosly didn't watch and feel it.
2 nd the block is a nothing to worry about when towing, sure it helps axle wrap, but when was the last time you had your rear bouncing while towing, anyway don't worry about the block, oh i have blocks and i tow, and some things i tow are twice the weight of the truck.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You can order new spring for it from JC Whitney.
Aaron

G

·
unless the springs are cracked or rusted to the point the metal is weakened the springs can be re-arched..... re-arching springs is more of an art form than a exact science. i re-arch springs all the time, the first set i did 6 years ago hasnt dropped a fraction of an inch over the years.... i can actually make 4 inch lift out of factory springs by re-arching them higher.

but in most cases if you just wanna restore the stock height and theres no good spring shops in the area its easier to just buy some new springs. check out a company called ESPO springs and things, they sell factory replacement spring packs pretty cheap. just try and find where the springs are made..... American steel is the best stuff in the world but very hard to find, Columbian and Canadian steel is more popular and also good stuff. ESPO uses mexican witch is decent.... stay away from any steel coming from brazil, china, taiwan, or australia. itll be flat before you even get it in the truck.......

·
Registered
816 Posts
A sagging rear end is something that happens to us as we get older. I would recommend plenty of excersize, especially biking or running or anything that helps to work the gluteal muscles. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah but that's not fun

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Thank god! I thought this thread was about my X wife.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I concur. It is real hard to find a good spring shop so ask around until you hear of one and then re-arcing should work for you.

About the steel Bill is right, a lot of those countries with bad steel that he mentions use recycled steel in their products so the metal is weaker and actually rusts from the inside out in some cases.

Bill- said:
unless the springs are cracked or rusted to the point the metal is weakened the springs can be re-arched..... re-arching springs is more of an art form than a exact science. i re-arch springs all the time, the first set i did 6 years ago hasnt dropped a fraction of an inch over the years.... i can actually make 4 inch lift out of factory springs by re-arching them higher.

but in most cases if you just wanna restore the stock height and theres no good spring shops in the area its easier to just buy some new springs. check out a company called ESPO springs and things, they sell factory replacement spring packs pretty cheap. just try and find where the springs are made..... American steel is the best stuff in the world but very hard to find, Columbian and Canadian steel is more popular and also good stuff. ESPO uses mexican witch is decent.... stay away from any steel coming from brazil, china, taiwan, or australia. itll be flat before you even get it in the truck.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.